Chapter Sixteen: March 23rd, 1876, New Orleans, Louisiana

!!!This chapter contains dark themes!!!

Beth was shoved into a room much larger than any she'd ever been in and spun around, backing up as Sadie partially walked inside.

She smirked and leaned back through the door frame. "Stay here and make sure we aren't disturbed. If you hear screaming, ignore it."

Beth scurried back as far as she could, finally hitting something with her back. She turned around and found that it was a dresser standing at about shoulder high, then saw a bed and what Elu called a nightstand just past it. A lamp rested there and she moved toward it, remembering they were made with somewhat durable fixtures, but Sadie stepped in front of her, making her back up against the far wall. As she hit it, she surveyed its lilac length to her left, finding nothing she could use as a weapon as she checked her side for her pouch wherein her dirk lied. It was gone, most likely taken when Sadie held her so closely, the memory of which nearly made Beth gag right then.

"You wanted to use the lamp as a weapon, lovely? You see, Foret Senior hired me when I was only thirteen." Sadie began undoing her gun holster as she spoke and Beth racked her brain for what to do. She should have listened to Elu. Why did I not listen! "He caught me in an alley having some fun with a friend. It's how I got this scar." She ran her finger down along a small pink indention on the left side of her jaw. "The first of many. She fought back a lot and the more work I did, the more I realized smaller ones like her fight the hardest. Until I break them. And that's why Senior Foret hired me. To break people."

She placed her holster on top of the dresser as she passed it and unshouldered her suspenders, letting them fall to her sides. Once Sadie was in front of her, she reached out and Beth did what she was taught. She caught her wrist and pulled her as she pivoted out of the way, sending Sadie smacking into the wall. Hearing her grunt, Beth made a break for the door, but was gathered in by her arms.

"That was brazen! Too bad you ain't as strong as you think, shortie." Sadie hoisted her off of the floor and threw her down onto the bed.

Beth pushed and shoved at her chest as she scrambled to flee. "Please, don't do this! Stop!"

With a giggle, Sadie began strapping her arms to leather bands along each corner of the bed and she realized a dark stain on one. "Have you realized? If you pull too hard, you will only hurt yourself."

Beth kicked her leg as Sadie made it to it, but she knelt down beside the bed and easily dodged it, chuckling under her breath. "You won't get away with this! Someone will hear me if I'm loud enough!"

"It's nice to hear you drop proper etiquette, but I have to tell you, no one will care. This building is owned by a man of status and filled with music. Can you not hear it?" Sadie tapped the side of her head, then caught Beth's flailing leg, latching the last of the bed's bindings to her. "More than that, the streets are bustling with music and the Fireman's Parade on this specific occasion. No one will hear your cries just as they didn't hear those I've taken here before. This is my work room and no one ever disturbs me at work."

As Beth grew distracted by the sounds outside and recalled the number of people in the streets, she felt a tug at her waist. Now that she was fully strapped into the bed and there was no room for escape, her blood ran cold. Sadie undid the ribbon along the front of her prairie dress and began unfastening her bodice as she continued to wriggle around, fighting for any reprieve.

With Beth's movements hazarding her task, Sadie grew visibly irritated and took out a blade from somewhere behind herself. She sliced it down Beth's torso, making her whimper and fall completely still. With a smirk, Sadie opened her bodice, but Beth turned away as she felt her lift her camisole and trembled when something cold touched her stomach. She peeked down at it and watched as Sadie pulled a chair up to the bed, then placed the curved knife in her hand along her once more. Red oozed from her and she quaked as pain hit her gut, sobbing into her arm as she bit down on her sleeve.