Chapter Twenty-Two: March 28th, 1876, Donaldsonville, Louisiana

Elu jogged with Bethany and Lewis up to their horses and they got on them. After jumping off of the barge at the next ramp, it was a race against the clock to get back to the overturned wagon, and then the bordello as hurriedly as they could. They needed to get away before the authorities arrived. They galloped at top speeds back toward the tavern, slowing as they came to the corner just beyond the wrecked stagecoach. After she hopped down, Elu held her hand back toward the others, signaling for them to wait, and peeked around the corner with her horse. She quickly spotted several men in uniforms standing guard around their nearly forgotten provisions and trunks as Miranda fussed at them in Spanish.

"Stay here." As Bethany tried to argue back, Elu grasped her face between her hands and kissed her, then pulled back. She checked her side, seeing no blood and felt well enough to accomplish one last task. As she began undoing the harness straps of the saddle on her mare's back, she explained, "I will go several streets down and fire a shot. It will attract them and you can get your father's wagon fastened to at least three horses. Get your mother inside and meet me at the edge of the Mississippi."

She got back on the horse once the saddle was removed, knowing they'd both be able to move more freely, then glanced at Bethany. She only hesitated a moment longer before she nodded and Elu turned her mare around, galloping several streets away. She lifted one of Russel's revolvers into the air and fired several shots. After waiting at the end of the street around the corner until the officers arrived on the other side, she steered her horse back toward the Mississippi.

Elu raced through the crowd, calling for the pedestrians strewn about to move, and turned back down the first alley they navigated. Once she was at the end, she halted her mare and swiveled her head around until she found the other two horses. There was a third off to the side with a smaller, platform wagon strapped behind it. Lewis, Miranda, Bethany and many of the women and patrons from the brothel helped to hurriedly load their things onto it.

As Elu led her horse to them, she realized they were nearly done, yet missing a few things. "What about the--"

"We can get many new things once we are out of Louisiana." Bethany hugged her, then took her outstretched hand, climbing up behind her onto her horse.

Elu checked that Lewis and Miranda were ready, then with a smile she clicked her tongue. "Yah!"

* * *

Beth brought her horse to a slow stop as they reached Calcasieu River and jumped down. She glanced back at her mother and brother who did the same, watching Lewis helping their mother down from the gelding they shared. After spending the better part of three days on horseback, Beth was ready for a little break and from the way her family stretched their legs, they felt the same.

Surveying the area, something caught her attention and she pointed toward the river. "Elu, what's that?"

She pointed to a barge-like structure that had a man sitting nearby. He rested along one of its posts, carving a trinket of some sort from the small block wood in his hands. Across the way was another, who noticed them and whistled rather loudly drawing the carvers attention. He stood on alert and jogged to them with a wide grin.

"Howdy!" He took off his well worn straw hat and dipped his head, then put it back. "Y'all needin' tuh cross the river?"

"Yes, sir." Elu reached into her pocket and grabbed several fifty dollar greenbacks, placing them in his hand. He blinked with wide eyes as his eyebrows journeyed up to his hairline, then stared at her in what appeared to be shocked silence. "If anyone comes asking after us, do not speak of us, please. Thank you."

The black man smiled, flashing his gap riddled pearly whites at them. "Yes'sir! Hand tuh jeezus! You and the missus headin' out west with the family?"

Elu gently took Beth's hand, puffing her bound chest with a smug grin, quite proud of her cleverly crafted persona as her husband. "Further north, actually, but yes. We will be farther west."

It appeared to do the trick as the man never dropped his cheery disposition and tucked the roll of cash into his pants pocket. "Well, if ya ever come by these parts again, feel free to use my family's passage service, sir."

"That I will."

Elu waved her hands back at Miranda and Lewis who walked their horses up to the small barge. The man whistled and he began turning a large wheel as the other stood across the way turned his own. Once Miranda and Lewis were on the platform, they began turning the wheels in reverse and Beth watched with delight as her family was literally carried to a brighter future.

As they made it to the other side, they turned their wheels in the opposite directions to before and the flatboat was sent back. Beth was amused by the new form of transportation and marveled as she and Elu moved to the barge. They were carried over it as well and she slipped her moccasin off, dipping her toes into the crisp water with a giggle.

As they neared the other side, the man from earlier waved for a moment. "Y'all have a safe trip!"

Elu waved back with an easy grin, then caught Beth staring at her, but she didn't look away. "You have been on a long journey, a gun battle, a stagecoach attack and even ridden a train, yet this amazes you?"

"Of course it does." Beth reached out and took her hand, playing with the ring on her finger. "Everything still does. I am amazed we survived and at what we have seen and experienced. I am amazed at the life I always wanted coming true. But most of all, I am amazed I get to do it all with you."

Elu smiled ear to ear and kissed her cheek as they arrived on the other side, then Beth bent over to put her shoe on once again. They both walked hand in hand as they led their horses by the reins over the pebbles underfoot, then up a small path between two hills. As they made it over the slight ridge, they stood with the rest of their family and looked out at the creeks, trees and wild critters across the land.

For the first time in her life, Beth felt whole. She had the woman she loved at her side, the mother for whom she always yearned and a brother to take on her many adventures across the country, of which there were so many still to be had. Beth glanced over at Elu and smiled, warmed by the sun and the gentle feeling her love's tender characteristics brought.

Now... She thought to herself as she gazed toward the skyline. Let's begin!