Epilogue: June 8th, 1880, The Ensley Farm, Yellowstone, Wyoming

Beth emerged from her cabin, stretching her arms into the sky after taking a nice afternoon nap beside her stove baking a succulent cobbler. After finding out one of her favorite things to do was cook, Elu had gotten her the stove and they had regular meals with the neighbors, though to trek to their property could take some time. Still she enjoyed having friends so nearby and was happy their troubles were also far behind them. Just as they were for Beth and her family, which included the woman she loved.

She yawned and was swiftly surrounded by several cheery kids as if drummed up on cue. They hugged her and she placed kisses along each of their cheeks before they ran off, chasing after their pet coyote toward their own property. It was a very large prairie ranch shared by four families, one of which was expecting their second child within the month. Having children around them was so lovely and serenaded many of Beth's days as she volunteered her services as their teacher, with educational provisions supplied by their parents, of course. With every book given to her devoured, Beth was a wealth of information and found her true calling as an educator, never asking for proper wages or even entertaining the idea.

Elu made the money and was the main person who helped them, anyways, heading over to their property first thing every morning to help her best friend Pete with chores. Beth smirked as she watched the young ones running with their arms spread at their sides, finally feeling alright about not having any children of her own. No, she and Elu never would, but they had the Hendrix and Quaid children closeby, greeting them daily with their visits. In fact, they mostly shared both estates between the families there and Beth would have it no other way. Not after they were finally happy and had a true family of their own.

Elu walked around the shed beside their cabin carrying on a conversation with Jessie Hendrix, which explained why the children were running around everywhere. Elu spotted her and smiled, jogging over and making her still shortened, but better styled hair flop about. "Evening, Bethany!"

She never tired of the way she pronounced her name with her Cherokee accent and hoisted up on her toes, placing a kiss along her cheek. Elu let out a cheesy sound as her face melted, then hurriedly regained her composure as Jessie balked.

"Well, I know where your bread's buttered. I need to head home and take care of the linens. That was a nice walk'n'talk, Elu."

As both she and Beth chuckled at the endearing term for their evening strolls, Jessie waved toward the children and called out their names. The one white preteen boy among them kept his eyes glued to Ida, absentminded of Jessie's beckoning. Ida noticed with a snicker and took his hand, leading him back toward her mother with her twin brothers. He tripped over the dips in his path, practically drooling after the girl and making the adults laugh.

"Where is Alice?" Beth asked between her chuckles. "I would have expected to see her walking with you both and she said she would swing by with that new cookbook."

"She had to go visit her brother when she received word his wife finally gave birth again, so both she and Pete left early this morning." Elu wrapped her arm around Beth and guided her inside as they waved goodnight to the others, then hugged her from behind once they were past the door. She pulled her down into her favorite rocking chair and rested her head along the back of her shoulder with a giggle. "You smell like vanilla and berries. Fell asleep by the stove again, didn't you?" Beth sucked her lips into her mouth and fought off her smile as Elu simply snorted. "Remember to be careful of that, love. Anyway, how was your day?"

"I just woke up from a long nap and have a lot of energy." Elu lifted her head and shook it with a balk, then gathered in her tighter. "I'm not sure I can remember the last time I have slept so soundly. That mattress you made may be the death of me. How did you do it?"

"It's a secret I learned on the road. I have to keep some or I will not have anything left to impress you with." Elu nonchalantly shrugged, then rubbed her nose along her cheek, resting her forehead against her temple.

Beth giggled and fully relaxed in her arms, turning her head to the side and catching her eyes. "Gvgeyuhi, Elu Aniwodi."

She smiled and gently kissed Beth's lips. "I love you, too. Why don't we just stay like this for a bit?"

Beth turned in her arms and sat sideways on her lap, tucking herself into her chest and tracing her fingers along her collarbone. Elu held her close, the worst behind them, and Beth breathed her and their future in. Four happy years had gone by in a breeze and she couldn't wait for the next five, ten or even thirty of their lives.