Chapter 22

Christian

     The doorbell rings, making me jump in my seat. Mitchel raises an eyebrow at me as he gets up to see who it is. 

I watch as he looks through the peephole, looking back at me. "Looks like the cops." He states. I swallow hard and get up from the couch. 

Mitchel unlocks the door, greeting both men. "Mr. Cave?" One of them asks. "Maybe. Who's asking?" Mitchel asks. I roll my eyes and appear beside him, awkwardly waving at both men. 

"My name is Detective Jones. This is my partner Detective Cameron." Both detectives show us their badges and put them back in their pockets. "May we come in?" Detective Jones asks Mitchel. 

"Sure," Mitchel opens the door wider, allowing them to enter our home. "What's this about?" I ask. 

     I knew why they were here, but it was best for me to act like I had no idea why. "May I ask who you are?" The other detective asks. "I'm Christian." I tell him. "Christian Anthony." Detective Jones writes down my name. 

"We can sit in the dining room if you'd like." Mitchel tells both detectives. "We're here to talk to Mr. Cave about Ms. Knight's car." Detective Jones tells us. 

"Jordan?" I ask stupidly. Detective Jones nods his head and takes a seat. "Well, I'm Mitchel Cave. I'm Jordan's best friend." 

"We wanted to ask you a few questions." Mitchel shrugs and sits down as well. "Do you want me to stay?" I ask Mitchel. "Can he?" Mitchel asks the detectives. "That's fine." Detective Cameron says. 

     I sit beside Mitchel, grabbing ahold of his hand under the table. "Mr. Cave, where were you three nights ago between five P.M. and eight P.M.?" 

"I was at home...in my room." Mitchel responds honestly. "Was anyone else with you?" Detective Jones asks. "Yes, Christian was. We were together." He lies. 

I refrain from frowning. "What is your relationship with Ms. Knight?" He asks. 

"She's my best friend. We've been friends since primary school." Mitchel says. "Or elementary school, as you guys say in America." He adds. Detective Cameron continues writing down things in his small notebook. 

"Do you know anyone who would want to hurt Ms. Knight?" 

Mitchel shakes his head. "I mean, some guys probably don't like her, but none of them would want to hurt her. Not to my knowledge, anyway." 

"Ms. Knight tells us that there was an argument not long before her car was destroyed." 

I let go of Mitchel's hand, crossing my arms in annoyance. Jordan was doing everything she could to ensure that I was caught. 

"I wouldn't say there was an argument. Christian got angry with Jordan about something, but it wasn't anything serious."

"What was the argument about?" Detective Cameron asks, ignoring that Mitchel said it wasn't an argument. He places his notebook and pen down on the table. I glance over at Mitchel, who looks visibly uncomfortable. 

"Uh, Christian and I are dating. We were...about to...have sex." Mitchel says, embarrassed. "Jordan walked in on us." 

Detective Cameron nods and begins writing again. "Christian was upset that Jordan barged into his room without knocking." 

Detective Jones nods and thanks Mitchel for his cooperation. 

      "Mr. Anthony, we would also like to ask you some questions. Mr. Cave, if you wouldn't mind, would you please leave the three of us alone."