Chapter 1

There were certain things Arkemoz missed about Hell

There were certain things Arkemoz missed about Hell. A complete lack of water was one of them.

He sighed as he walked down the dark, empty street, trying to avoid the occasional puddles of dirty rainwater that had accumulated in the holes in the asphalt. It hadn't taken him long to make a definitive opinion on water, despite being on Earth for only a few days—he didn't like it one bit, and liked it even less when it fell from the sky.

He didn't even know what town he was in at this point, and frankly, he didn't care either. It wasn't like whatever name the humans had given the place would mean anything to Arkemoz, and whenever he'd asked anyone about anything, they'd given him strange looks.

But that was probably fair. If a fellow demon had asked him about what must have been completely basic things, he would be confused also. But that was also the biggest issue he'd found with trying to live on Earth. He felt so alienated from everything here, and he had no idea who he could ask for some pointers on how to integrate into this new, strange society.

Since the demon who had agreed to meet with him and explain the basics had never shown up, Arkemoz had spent his time aimlessly wandering around, hoping that eventually, he would get lucky enough to run into another demon who he could ask about things. He knew a few demons were living on Earth, specifically on this continent, whatever it was called, but so far he'd not found any.

At least the humans seemed to treat him neutrally as long as he minded his own business and kept his horns and tail hidden, which was better than how he'd been treated in his home dimension.

But still, even though he wasn't sure what he'd actually been expecting, he couldn't help but feel disappointed.

Suddenly distracted from his gloomy thoughts by movement in the corner of his eye, Arkemoz paused, looking over at the dark alley he was about to pass. He stared into the darkness, squinting for a moment, but since he couldn't find anything odd, he just shook his head and continued walking.

Arkemoz liked the night. There was no such thing as a day and night cycle in any of the Hell dimensions, but the darkness here was very reminiscent of his former home, and it was comforting in a way. Although, for whatever reason, he couldn't see as well in this dark as in Hell. He didn't like that fact very much, but there was little he could do about it.

He came to a halt once more, but this time because of a sound. A sort of rustle that made him turn around. He frowned at the empty street and the surrounding buildings behind him, but there was nothing out of the ordinary. The dreary, old structures with peeling plastering somehow managed to look even less inviting in the brightness of the street lights.

Arkemoz set his jaw. Despite how strong he was, he felt a very intense urge to leave this place, and he didn't see a reason why he shouldn't listen to that instinct. He was about to leave, but before he could even turn around, he cried out as something sunk into his neck, sending sharp, burning pain through him. Strong arms grabbed at his shoulders in a bruising grip as the pain in his neck got even more intense, but that was when Arkemoz managed to get over his shock.