Chapter 7

Arkemoz played with the sleeve of his new coat

Arkemoz played with the sleeve of his new coat. On the way back, James had decided that Arkemoz couldn't keep walking around in the clothes he had, and he wouldn't listen to any of the demon's protests, so now he had new clothes.

He appreciated it, of course—only wearing a t-shirt wasn't something Arkemoz was comfortable with, but he now felt a little guilty. From what he understood about this world, one needed money in the form of thin papers or plastic cards to pay for things, and these could be gotten by doing work for people. Arkemoz assumed that James had gotten his from Aegis, but the demon had noticed him grimacing at the price he'd had to pay. And no matter how much the vampire assured him that it was okay, Arkemoz still felt odd about it.

Maybe in the future, he could get some of his own money to pay James back, but right now that wasn't possible. Or maybe he could make up for it another way. He felt like he had to, especially given that the boots he was now wearing were unfathomably more comfortable to walk in.

Arkemoz had had nothing to compare the ones he'd been wearing to, and now that he did, he never wanted to wear his original shoes again. He hadn't even really realized that they had been too big for him, and now he felt very stupid for not putting together that there were many sizes to choose from.

He's also gotten a new hat as well, but he wouldn't wear that unless he had to. If he were around other demons, he probably wouldn't mind an excuse to hide them, but James kept looking at them with fascination when he thought Arkemoz wasn't watching and that made his heart do odd things. Odd but pleasant.

The hat was now on top of the still confusing glove compartment, every so often illuminated by the tall street lights that they kept passing. Arkemoz stared out the window, trying to spot things he had seen on the way to the warlock since they were using the same roads. For the most part, he couldn't see much in the dark.

"So, how has Aegis been doing?" Qironin asked from the backseat casually, as if catching up with a not-often-seen friend. The warlock and James had been talking on and off the whole trip, most of which Arkemoz had spent being silent because the topics ranged from things he knew nothing about, to things he only had a vague understanding of. It made him feel more than a little awkward.

"It still exists," James replied, shrugging. Arkemoz couldn't tell if he was annoyed, or if he genuinely had nothing to say. Qironin didn't seem bothered either way.

"As I suspected." The warlock proceeded to laugh at his own joke. "You don't like Aegis very much, do you?"

"I can think of only one vampire who likes Aegis," James grumbled, putting both of his hands on the steering wheel. He paused for a moment before raising his index finger. "And I am not that vampire, just to be clear."

Arkemoz frowned at him. He hadn't been aware of this. "You don't like it?"

James sighed, giving Arkemoz an awkward smile. He sighed, shrugging again. "It's not Aegis' fault exactly. You know how I said that most employees are vampires?"