Chapter 24

Arkemoz was still shocked by the revelation that to open an angels' portal, one simply needed the sword of one

Arkemoz was still shocked by the revelation that to open an angels' portal, one simply needed the sword of one. He certainly hadn't known this, and he didn't think demons in general knew it, despite how simple it was. But then, getting their hands on an angel's sword was so much trouble that this information changed very little.

"Is everyone ready?"

Arkemoz blinked at Black's voice breaking through his thoughts, annoyed with himself for focusing on the portal instead of the mission at hand. He gripped his stake, giving James a brief look. The vampire looked very serious for once, which both served to make the demon feel inspired and worried.

But then he should feel worried—Arkemoz had never faced an angel, nor had he ever seen one. He had heard a lot about them, though, and those stories only made his heart beat faster.

"I repeat, the primary mission is to rescue Azralis. If you can avoid a fight, do it."

Arkemoz gave a nod, even though Black wasn't looking directly at him right now, instead scanning his eyes over the entire group of vampires that was gathered in front of the cabin. Not fighting angels would be beneficial for everyone, though somehow, he doubted they'd get that lucky.

"Good, then let's do this."

Arkemoz was almost shocked to see Black simply turn around and walk into the portal without a second of hesitation, but it did help him push away some of his fear. And anger quickly took over once he repeated to himself why they were doing this. These angels invaded Earth for no reason, had been capturing demons, had attempted to capture him....

It was time to make them pay.

As he reached the portal, several Aegis members disappearing into it before him, for a second he hesitated, wondering if the portal would even let a demon pass through since it was angelic magic, but then he quickly pushed those concerns aside. Azralis must have gone through it if she'd been brought here, and there would be no point in taking her alive if the portal would kill her.

With that he took the final step without looking back, walking into the golden light, mindful not to trip over the sword still stuck in the ground. A second later he blinked, surprised that there was no discomfort, no force trying to throw him forward, as he found himself in a large room with a circular ceiling high above.

At first he thought the light of the portal was making it look gold, but he soon realized that the walls were actually a light shade of gold themselves, the surface smooth and unnaturally perfect. The only thing that wasn't gold was the floor, which was silver instead, and rough enough that it could be walked on without problem as Arkemoz soon found out as he got out of the way of the vampires coming in.

Arkemoz swallowed, running his eyes over the entire room. None of the fights he'd been a part of made him feel like he felt now—this was the territory of his mortal enemies, and just being here was incredibly dangerous.