Chapter 23

In the end, it was fairly easy to convince Black to let James come with

In the end, it was fairly easy to convince Black to let James come with. The vampire had actually been surprised at how little of an argument he'd had to make at first, but then Aegis really didn't have much of a choice with how many people had deserted them already.

James wasn't going to comment on any of this, though, because all that mattered to him was the fact that he was coming along with Arkie, and he could keep an eye on him. It seemed a bit counterintuitive to bring Arkemoz to face angels, but since most of Aegis was going, he was more likely to be in danger if he stayed behind. Especially since until now, Aegis had been full of informants for the enemy, so they knew where to find him.

James looked over at Arkie, who was sitting next to him in the car as usual, frowning as he stared out the window. The demon hadn't been in a particularly talkative mood this entire drive, and neither was Denise, who had been on her phone the entire time. It made the atmosphere in the car all the more tense.

But James understood why they wouldn't want to talk. They were going to face beings more powerful than anything else they'd fought before, and even with however many people the Aegis leaders had managed to get together to attack this place, whatever it was, the possibility of dying was still pretty high. So he got that people weren't really for the most part excited for a conversation while thinking about that.

Unfortunately, James tended to want to talk more than usual when he was nervous or worried, or anxious, or anything negative, really. He didn't like having the time to think, and talking always worked wonders to distract him from it, but he wouldn't force Arkie or Denise into it if they didn't want to.

Which meant that he didn't have much choice but to think about things he didn't like. Like blood. Knowing that Qironin would have been able to open that portal without him drinking it made it all the more annoying that he was still itching to get himself some more, but obviously he couldn't have known that then.

He really wasn't fine just yet, no matter how much he liked to claim otherwise, but he had to keep it together. Hopefully, there would be no humans around because he wasn't sure he trusted himself enough to be around them.

Just thinking that made him want to vomit, but he swallowed the feeling down, shaking his head. He had been feeling like this on and off the entire trip, and since they were getting close, he really needed to get a hold of himself.

What else could he think about? James' eyes almost immediately slid over to Arkie. He had been doing that for the majority of the drive, if he was to be honest with himself, but he could never do it for long because otherwise he would probably crash.

Still, he could indulge himself for a few seconds. He ran his eyes over the demon's horns, noting how they glinted in the late afternoon sunlight. Had Arkie always had hair like that? It looked too neatly and evenly cut for a guy who probably didn't even know hairdressers existed, even with how messy it was.