Chapter 4

James was surprised with himself

James was surprised with himself. He hadn't thought he'd like the little guy. He'd been planning on just being overly pleasant to get him to calm down and tell him what had happened since their bosses wanted to know if the demon knew anything that could help their investigation. But James really liked talking to him. It did always seem to take a bit to get Arkie to talk, but his constant scowling and huffing were frankly too adorable for James to care all that much.

"Why would I drink this?" he asked, peering into the hole in the cola can with suspicion. Since not all employees of Aegis were vampires, there were a few vending machines at the HQ, so James had thought that buying Arkemoz a soda might improve the demon's mood. "I don't like water. And this looks much worse."

"You'll like it. It tastes good. I mean, I think it does." Was it stupid to feel sad about not knowing how cola tastes? There was no point to it, that was for sure. James would always be a vampire, and a vampire's sense of taste was practically nonexistent when it came to normal food, so there was nothing to be done about it.

Arkemoz looked back down at the can, narrowing his eyes at it. While it was a bit tiresome that he was so suspicious of everything, it was kind of funny, too. But James couldn't laugh because that would definitely not help things.

They were sitting in the corner of the lounge area on the headquarters, which James had been a bit dubious about at first, but there hadn't been much foot traffic here so far. Arkie clearly didn't trust any of them, and James doubted that people gawking at him would do much to change that.

And it was hard not to. The guy had horns growing out of his head, and a lot of the people here had never seen a demon, which was why he'd made sure that Arkemoz would be sitting opposite him, against the wall. That was the best they could do in terms of hiding him.

James would have taken him outside to talk, but he couldn't do that right now without bursting into flames. At least the open space seemed to have made Arkie feel more comfortable. He wasn't as jumpy anymore.

The vampire watched him take a careful sip of the cola, almost chuckling as the demon's eyes went wide.

"See? Told ya."

The demon kept his eyes firmly trained on the can. "It's...okay. Though I still don't know what's in it. It doesn't look natural."

"Maybe. But there's a ton of sugar."

Arkemoz gave the drink another distrustful look before taking another, much larger sip. James grinned. God, he was cute. For some reason, James even liked the horns. They freaked him out with Azralis, but Arkie's worked somehow, and he doubted it was because his were smaller. Maybe it was because of the messy black hair since it looked much softer and fluffier than Azralis'.

"So...I'm free to leave?"

James resisted the urge to sigh. He had sort of been hoping Arkie would stick around for a while, but he'd implied he wanted to leave as soon as possible before now already. James probably shouldn't get too attached, but it was turning out to be pretty damn hard not to. He couldn't remember the last time he actually met someone he found interesting, so this was difficult.