Chapter 11

James immediately flinched when he saw flames briefly illuminate the ceiling in the other corner of the massive room, only to quickly realize that the fire was actually very far away, as was the yelling

James immediately flinched when he saw flames briefly illuminate the ceiling in the other corner of the massive room, only to quickly realize that the fire was actually very far away, as was the yelling. And the loud roaring. Who the hell was here, and why were they here? Clearly they'd pissed off the dragon because she was breathing fire at them, but that explained nothing.

He felt a tug on his arm, noticing that Arkie was trying to pull him away. James didn't resist, running after him and Denise as the yelling and the sound of the dragon breathing fire got more and more distant. It was still way too loud though, on account of these rooms having great acoustics.

Why did this place look like a castle, anyway? He hadn't exactly lived in a castle like this growing up, but it was still familiar enough to make him uncomfortable.

Once they reached the smaller corridor again Denise stopped, looking around the corner as if the dragon was going to stomp over here at any moment. Though weirdly enough the roars and yelling seem to have quietened down considerably. James wasn't sure if that was good or bad.

"Okay, so that's Firith. But who are the other people?" Denise peeked from behind the corner a bit more, trying to get a better view, but even from here James could tell that wouldn't help. The fire was gone, but the roaring was still present. And now also the sound of chains could be heard.

James was no expert in dragon anything, but to him that sounded fairly obviously like Firith had been subdued. Somehow. He couldn't imagine how a person would go about that, but that wasn't important right now.

"We'll have to get closer to figure that out," James said quietly, not at all happy about this turn of events. Meeting a dragon and asking her to give them something for nothing had been intimidating enough. This was just unnecessary stress.

Denise let out an annoyed sigh, nodding at him. "We'll have to be careful. But at least with how much noise they're making it shouldn't be too hard to get there without them noticing."

Assuming they couldn't sense them because it was highly unlikely that these people were human. James closed his hand around the stake in the pocket of his jacket. They couldn't know it would be vampires, but it was usually vampires. Especially now that they were apparently working with angels.

James still had no idea what to do with that information—both the fact that they were working together, and that angels existed and were here on Earth—so he just pushed it aside. He needed to focus.

He took a quick look at Arkie, noting that the demon hadn't spoken once since they'd gotten here, but he seemed just as serious and determined as ever, his tail raised up and poised to strike. The way it glinted in the dark was both intimidating and a bit too mesmerizing.

James tried to keep his eyes off it as they crept back towards the room the sounds were coming from. James almost stumbled when he finally saw the huge mass of the red dragon. She was so large she took up most of the room, and even with how she was currently lying down on the floor, James had to look up to fully take her in.