Chapter 18

"You want to pretend to want to join these vampires?" Black said with narrowed eyes and a raised eyebrow

"You want to pretend to want to join these vampires?" Black said with narrowed eyes and a raised eyebrow. He didn't seem upset or displeased in any way—more utterly incapable of comprehending James' suggestion. To be fair, it was a wild one, even for him, but it made sense.

Clearly these angels wanted old vampires. Be it for their blood or not, that would give James an opportunity to pretend to be interested in joining them and trying to get some intel. Maybe what the end goal here was, or where they were keeping all those demons they'd kidnapped.

"They will see through this immediately," one of the other Aegis leaders said, a tall, ginger woman James had probably seen before but didn't know the name of. There were four in total in the office, counting Black, and James had never seen the other two. Not that he cared much. "Didn't they try to take you by force?"

"Well, then put some kind of tracker on me, or something. You can pick me up later if they capture me. It's worth a shot."

The four vampires looked at each other dubiously. James wanted to sigh. This was one of the problems he had with Aegis—they always had to plan everything out first instead of acting as soon as possible.

These angels had managed to destroy one of the main bases Aegis had, kill a bunch of their members, kidnap a demon much stronger than Arkie, and infiltrate Aegis. Realistically James knew that anyone working for the angels had probably already left for good, but the fact that anyone in the smaller headquarters he was now in could be a traitor was putting him edge. If anyone tried to do anything to Arkie....

James tried to push that thought aside. The point was that if there ever was a time to be impulsive and risky, it was now. He could feel the tension everyone was giving off. The longer they waited the more likely it was that all the vampires here would probably try to do a forceful change of management. And despite James complicated feelings towards Aegis, even he knew this would be a terrible development.

"No offense meant, James, but this sounds a bit like you are planning on deserting us," Black said, hopefully unaware of how close he was to the truth. But after his earlier talk with Arkie, James was determined to at least see this angel business through. He might desert after, but that was for later.

"Well, I'm not," James replied, really having no proof of his claims. But he shouldn't need one. "Look, you all know this is a good idea. I'm the oldest aside maybe from you." James looked Black up and down as he said this. He still had no idea how old this vampire was. "And we can all agree I'm way more expendable."

The four exchanged an unsure look again, though they didn't seem as opposed anymore. Finally, Black heaved a sigh. With the harsh, artificial light beaming at them from the ceiling, he looked even more tired and ragged than before.

It made James wonder how Denise was doing. He hadn't seen her since that pocket dimension debacle.

"Well, if you are certain you wish to try this.... We will consider it."