Chapter 22

Denise watched Marlow through narrowed eyes from the corner of the interrogation room

Denise watched Marlow through narrowed eyes from the corner of the interrogation room. She was glad she didn't have to do the actual interrogating, which was being conducted by Black. It turned out that Marlow was once again unpleasant now that he wasn't starving and James wasn't in the room.

Denise wouldn't argue with her bosses about that—James definitely needed some time out after drinking blood—though maybe it would have made getting Marlow to talk easier with him around. Still, Nathan was talking, and that was good enough.

"So, you don't know what the angels want?" Black asked, his voice steely. Denise had to appreciate how many sides of him she'd seen just today. Black had never dropped his pleasant facade during the entire time she had worked for Aegis.

"No, I do not," Marlow replied with annoyance, glaring at Black. Denise wondered if he would have tried to attack Black if not for the handcuffs binding his hands to the metal table. "As I've already said—they only claimed they would help us rise above the humans."

Marlow looked a bit sick when he said that, but that look was gone almost immediately. "The Nightfall's objectives are to create strong vampires from blood of vampires such as myself. And to find and capture demons for a spell of some kind. What exactly they need demons for is not something I know or care about. However, if you need information about what spell it could be, I suggest you ask your miracle worker of a warlock."

God, this guy just couldn't say anything without sarcasm, could he? Denise tried to focus on her annoyance and ignore the nagging questions that cropped up in her mind whenever Qironin was mentioned. She hadn't seen him since they'd rescued James, which meant that she couldn't just ask him if he was a double agent. She certainly hoped that Marlow had been either lying or wrong about those portals, but with the way Qironin had opened the portal, it was all very suspicious.

"We will make sure to do that," Black replied dryly. "Do you know where Azralis is being held?"

"You assume I have information about something that happened after I was imprisoned?"

"Yes." Black didn't let the sarcasm affect him at all, it seemed.

Marlow narrowed his eyes at the other vampire in what looked like pure hate. And Denise sort of loved to see it after her experience with him. She wouldn't be able to enjoy his irritation and misery after he wasn't evil anymore, but she was fine with this.

"She is most likely being held in one of the sky bases the angels have built," Nathan said after a short pause, glaring down at the table, as if he was angry with himself for actually answering. "At least that had been the plan for your other demon, if not for incompetent vampires addicted to demon blood. But I do not see why the angels would change the destination."

Denise wondered what Black would ask next because she had a lot of questions now, and she had no idea which to ask first. What the hell did he mean that the angels had built sky bases? Like literal headquarters floating in the sky? How had no one noticed that before?