Chapter 14

Arkemoz's wounds still ached

Arkemoz's wounds still ached. It had been at least half an hour after the attack had happened, and he had yet to fully heal. He must have lost a lot of blood for it to take so long, but aside from it being an annoyance, it was fine. There was no one to fight now. There was only a lot of confusion, and frankly he was confused as well.

From what had happened, it had seemed like half of Aegis was fighting with itself, but in the end, it turned out it had only been around thirty people who had betrayed them. That would still be a lot, except apparently there had been around three hundred people in this base at the time. It had only seemed like a much bigger problem because they'd been unlucky and had been near Azralis' office at the time of the attack, it seemed.

But Arkemoz wouldn't let down his guard while they were stuck here. He couldn't. Even though the portal was closed and there was no immediate way to get back to Earth, it didn't mean that any of the people here wouldn't at the very least try to drink his blood again.

He watched everyone around him with suspicion, grateful that they had managed to get the lights working again. He had certainly not liked the red lights from before. They were all sitting in a large room with tables and chairs organized in a circle around a lectern, which was at the other side of the room in the middle. Clearly this was a room for sharing information with many people at once, which was what was currently happening. However, Arkemoz couldn't help but feel like they were wasting time.

They needed to get the portal working as soon as possible, and then they needed to try to track down Azralis. He had no idea how they would go about doing that, but he did know there were tracking spells they could possibly try. He wasn't sure they would be successful as for the most accurate results the blood of the person being tracked was needed. However, they had to try. They still didn't know what the angels were planning on doing but given the fact that they had allied themselves with blood-drinking vampires, it was definitely not good.

"It seems that the rogue members' bracelets were inactive," Black, who had been talking to all of them about the situation, said. The vampire looked very stressed, and for good reason. He also had a fading bruise on his cheek, suggesting that he'd fought, though he had yet to say anything about that. "We'll do a screening of all vampiric employees, to make sure that there aren't any more hiding among us."

There was some grumbling from the crowd, which Arkemoz thought was ridiculous, though if they shared James' opinion on Aegis, perhaps that was to be expected.

"But not at this moment. The most important thing currently is to reopen the portal and return to our own dimension." Black made it sound like a simple thing, but from the grimace he was wearing, Arkemoz was getting the feeling that this wasn't going to be as easy as expected. Arkemoz knew how to open a portal, but only from Hell to the mortal dimension and back. This could be completely different. But that thankfully didn't matter because Qironin, or perhaps one of the other warlocks he'd talked about, would know how to do this.