Chapter 21

Arkemoz couldn't believe this was happening

Arkemoz couldn't believe this was happening. Not only had James apparently drunk blood, but he was now nowhere to be found. While the demon was still not entirely sure what it does to a vampire to drink blood—and neither did he know why—he knew it was bad, and the fact that James was gone was worse.

The demon had helped search the warehouse and the surrounding area, but of course they'd found nothing. The car was still here, so they hadn't left using conventional means. Arkemoz had known that before even starting to search, but he had needed something to busy himself with.

He had known it would go wrong. And James' assurance that Aegis could find him through the tracking spell didn't help much now that it was apparently not working. Qironin had already tried to locate the vampire, and from how he'd described it, it sounded just like what had happened when they'd tried finding Azralis.

Arkemoz knew that Qironin was trying other spells to try to find James, but the demon was about ready to cast some of the spells he knew to try it himself. He knew he wouldn't succeed—he didn't know nearly enough about magic to even try to challenge angelic magic, and he certainly didn't know nearly as much as Qironin—but standing around doing nothing was unbearable.

He sighed as he walked back to the warehouse. He didn't really pay any attention to the people standing around it, though he couldn't help but notice Denise, who was very obviously looking at him.

She was probably planning on assuring him again that James could handle himself, and while Arkemoz didn't doubt that she was right, he wasn't sure if this applied in this situation. Of course, maybe everything was going according to plan, and James was learning important information from their enemies, but how were they supposed to know if they couldn't locate him or contact him?

He sincerely hoped that everything was going well, of course, but somehow, he didn't think it was. Maybe he was overly pessimistic, though.

Arkemoz stopped in front of the warehouse, a bit away from the group of vampires waiting there, and watched as through the half-open metal door Qironin was trying a spell to reopen the portal that had been there.

At least that was Arkemoz's guess because how else would James and the other vampire had left? And angels knew portal magic very well, even better than demons, possibly. It would make sense to use them to travel on Earth.

"Hey, you all right?" Arkemoz almost flinched when he heard Denise's voice and realized she was standing right next to him. He hadn't noticed her move toward him at all. Vampires were far too fast.

The demon just shrugged, not sure how to answer her question. He supposed he was okay, aside from being annoyed and worried. He wasn't used to worrying about others so much, though. He wasn't sure he liked it.

"I'm worried about him, too, you know." Denise sighed, shaking her head. "We'll find him."

Arkemoz was about to bitterly point out that the two of them could do very little to actually help with that when suddenly the warehouse door slammed shut. Everyone turned to it in shock, with a few of the vampires immediately rushing to the door and trying to open it.