Chapter 2

"Why are we trying to rescue demons exactly? Aren't demons, you know, demons?" James grumbled to his teammate as they drove down the road, raising eyebrows at her

"Why are we trying to rescue demons exactly? Aren't demons, you know, demons?" James grumbled to his teammate as they drove down the road, raising eyebrows at her. He was mostly just trying to antagonize her, though—he knew by now that it wasn't as black and white as that.

Unfortunately. If it were, they wouldn't have to keep chasing after clues that never led anywhere. Why was it their job to try to figure out who exactly was nabbing demons? From what he'd gathered over the few months he'd worked for Aegis, demons weren't supposed to be here, anyway. Maybe that was a bit harsh, but it was true.

Denise shook her head at him. "You do realize our boss is a demon, right?"

"Yeah, and have you met her?"

Denise laughed, looking back at the dark road. James hadn't been joking completely, though. Azralis was scary, no matter what Denise thought. He was glad they usually didn't have to answer to Azralis directly. James himself had only really met her once, but that was more than enough. As he usually was the tallest person in the room, meeting someone even taller who didn't even wear heels was disturbing in itself. Never mind the huge ram-like horns growing out of her head.

"We're supposed to protect everyone supernatural who isn't a danger to society. You know the mission," Denise continued, for once looking somewhat serious.

James sighed. Yeah, the great code of Aegis. He agreed that keeping the peace was something that had to be done, but what kind of idiot thought that making most of the employees vampires who had been forced into blood rehab was a good idea? James hoped he would meet the CEO at some point, just to congratulate him for being a moron.

"Also, it's not just demons, remember? Our colleagues have been disappearing too."

Disappearing, sure. Or they found a way to get rid of those tracker bracelets and were now drinking blood to their hearts' content. James glared down at his own bracelet. He didn't want to go back to being a bloodthirsty monster, but he understood the appeal. Especially the part about feeling no guilt whatsoever. He wouldn't mind that.

He could feel his fangs grow longer as his mind conjured up images of blood. He felt sick to his stomach at the thought of drinking it, but clearly, some part of him was all for it still. He swallowed, staring out the window instead to distract himself. He was probably just hungry again, but he didn't feel like he could stomach the gray powder Aegis gave to him instead.

"How many of those have disappeared, though? Like, ten?"

"Oh, so you actually listened to the mission briefing this time?" Denise teased him, grinning at him.

"I always listen. I just forget it all right after."

The other vampire snorted, brushing her short dark hair off her face. Hers was actually shorter than James' at this point. He wasn't sure how he felt about that. "I like you, Adley. You don't bother pretending to care."