Chapter 6

Denise scowled at the rundown building she was watching from around the corner

Denise scowled at the rundown building she was watching from around the corner. It didn't look that bad, and it was in the middle of town, but the super suspicious part was that the van was nowhere to be seen. Their GPS tracker was saying the chip was in the house, and somehow Denise doubted the vamp had somehow gotten the van through the front door.

"Are we going in or not?" one of the vampires who had gone with her—she was pretty sure his name was John, and she was absolutely sure that he was annoying as hell—whispered to her from behind.

"Quiet!" she hissed at him, continuing to watch the house and the street. A woman was walking down the street, but she was human, so there was no need to worry about that.

"Come on, let's check it out," the other one, Andrea, said. "We can't stand around here forever." Denise let out an annoyed sigh.

"Fine, fine." She shook her head, pulling out her gun. She was really starting to miss Adley. He was an idiot too, but he was more the kind of idiot she liked. And also she was usually the one pushing him to do things, not the other way around.

Drawing her gun, she looked around before walking up to the house, watching its windows. There was no light or sign of movement at all in the ones that weren't boarded up. If Denise didn't know any better, she'd just assume that the house was abandoned, and it made sense that there was no movement in the dead of night.

But she did know better, and this definitely felt like a trap. Realistically, Denise had no idea how the vampires who had survived their fight would know to check for a tiny tracking chip on the underside of the van, but clearly, someone had found it.

But someone trying to lure them here also made no sense to her. These vampires had been staying under the radar so much Aegis couldn't have managed to find any trace of them until now with very little to go off of still, so why would they suddenly decide to try to attack them?

Denise looked back at her coworkers as they reached the door. They nodded at her, stakes in hand. Were there really so few people who preferred the guns?

She tried opening the door, only to find that the lock had been broken. Not suspicious at all. She pushed the door open, wincing at the loud creak it had produced, and frowning into the dark hallway.

Denise raised her gun a bit as she reached what looked like a kitchen, only judging by the sink and fridge because the rest of the room seemed to have been moved out or robbed, poking the gun in the room first before looking around. There was no one here of course, but she felt like she was going to start jumping at shadows soon. Something about being here was really putting her on edge.

They continued moving through the house as quietly as possible, covering the entirety of the first floor without coming across anything suspicious. Denise had almost relaxed by then. At least until they heard a tiny creak of wooden flooring above them.

They all froze, staring up at the ceiling. There was only silence yet again, but Denise wasn't stupid. There was definitely someone up there. Looking at the other two vampires she pointed up, nodding at them, which they nodded back at, clutching their wooden stakes tighter.