Chapter 8

James had been hoping to get some time off to do nothing, and hopefully, hang out with Arkie more if the demon wanted to, but here they were, in the car again

James had been hoping to get some time off to do nothing, and hopefully, hang out with Arkie more if the demon wanted to, but here they were, in the car again. It wouldn't be too bad—he was still hanging out with Arkemoz technically—but there were two other vampires in the car with them, and that kind of ruined things. James wouldn't have taken his time with the trip because Denise was in trouble, but he would have loved to talk with the demon, which just felt awkward with two women in the back.

He didn't actually know what their names were, but he also didn't really care. At least they didn't seem to be impressed with him just based on the fact that he'd managed to stay alive for longer than the average vampire. He appreciated that.

There was also another car right behind them, which James thought was a bit of an overkill given that those vamps were most likely not waiting around to attack them. But he wouldn't argue with Black, mostly because James knew it would have been a waste of time from the beginning.

He hoped Denise was all right, though, and that she'd just broken her phone in a fight or something. James knew she could handle herself, but there had just been three of them. If they got ambushed....

James pushed that thought aside. He hadn't even realized until now that he actually cared about Denise to the point that he'd be this worried. That was new.

James looked over at Arkie, who was intently staring out the window, a focused scowl on his face. He was so adorable.

"So, Arkie—how do you kill a vampire, again?"

He'd meant it as a small, friendly jab, but Arkemoz seemed to take it completely seriously. "With a wooden object stabbed through the heart. Or sunlight. Or fire." He scowled down at his hands in his lap. "I wish I knew that when they attacked me."

"Well, now you know. And with how freakishly strong you are—"

"Wait, how strong is a demon?" asked one of the women. James actually remembered seeing this one around given that she had very noticeable, red hair.

"Very," James replied when he saw how unsure Arkie looked. He probably had nothing to compare it to. "You'd kick all our asses, wouldn't ya?"

Arkie shrugged, not looking happy about the prospect of fighting them. Not that James could blame him given his experiences with vampires so far.

"This body has more limitations than I do in my true form."

Well, that was really vague. And James had a million questions again. He didn't want to keep badgering Arkie with them, though. He didn't want the demon to get annoyed with him, even though he looked really cute when he was grumpy.

James was going to ask him to elaborate anyway, but he got enthralled by watching Arkie twirl the stake he'd gotten in his hand. It was surprisingly elegant. For some reason, James hadn't thought that would be something he'd ever call a demon that, yet here they were.