How a Garden Grows

A bell chime rang through the small garden store as Bdubs and Doc stepped inside. The smell of fresh flowers and dirt was a special kind of heaven for Bdubs. If he lacked self-control, he'd head straight for the rows of bouquets and go through every single one, taking time to admire each flower. But, they were there with a purpose, they were on a mission.

Squeezing his husband's hand, he weaved them through the store until he found where the pots were. "Okay, do we want bigger ones or smaller ones? Because if we go with the bigger ones, we should probably only do two, but maybe if we do the smaller ones, we can have more?" He asked, looking through the boxes of hanging flower pots.

Doc hummed. "I think I want two big ones. Do these come with hooks to mount them?" He scanned the various labels on the front of the box.

"Those don't I think, but this brand over here, they're the same size and they have hooks," he pointed out.

His husband picked up the box, reading everything he could on it. "I'm sure they'll be sturdy enough. I mean, they should be, right?"

"You'd think so!" He lightly laughed. "Now I'll go find a cart so we can carry everything."

After tracking a shopping cart down, on his way back to where Doc was waiting, he got a bag of dirt big enough to fill both of the pots.

Once they had their items in the cart, it was off to track down potential bulbs or seeds to plant. His husband offered to push the cart instead, but Bdubs insisted he was more than strong enough and proceeded to push back his sleeve to show off his muscles. Doc laughed and shook his head.

There were a lot of plants to choose from, so he asked the hybrid what he was thinking about planting. "Well... I'd like to have a mix of small, colorful flowers and some kind of vine plant that would dangle over the side. Does that make sense, can we find something like that?" He asked, picking up a bag of seeds off of a hook to look over what it was.

"We can definitely do that! What colors were you thinking?"

"Mmh, I think reds, purples, anything that goes with those." Bdubs nodded, grabbing a few more bags.

-

Although they had plenty of garden tools, they still checked out the supplies section for fun.

Amongst the usual items, there was some new fancy equipment that could supposedly make gardening easier. But, Bdubs argued that why mess with what works to which Doc firmly nodded.

"Oh, you know what, maybe we should get this!" The hybrid pointed out, picking something up from the bottom shelf. "This way, you can help water the new plants!" With a bright smile, he showed off the step stool he found.

Bdubs flashed an unamused frown, rolling his eyes. "No, no I think you're going to take care of them all by yourself."

Returning the stool, Doc walked around the cart to be beside him. "So you admit that you're too short to water them?" He teased with a shit-eating smirk.

"I don't admit anything. What I am saying is that you need new jokes, Gorgeous." He pressed a finger to his chest, which made his husband huff.

-

One car ride later, the couple finally hauled everything upstairs to their apartment.

Doc got to work attaching the hooks to the planks in the roof above the balcony. Because of how the balconies were set up, he wasn't drilling into the floor of his upstairs neighbor's balcony.

Meanwhile, his husband was sitting by the sliding door, filling the new pots and watering the freshly planted seeds. When he finished with one, he handed it off to the hybrid who carefully hung it up. He held his breath as he let go, waiting for a sudden moment of it crashing to the ground with a loud noise. But, it held.

He was using a small stool, which when he first pulled out resulted in laughter and teasing from Bdubs. He had quickly rebutted with the fact that his husband would need a taller one, and was quite pleased with himself.

Moving the stool over to where the other hook was, he repeated the process.

And when he was done, his husband stood underneath the pot to the right, carefully checking that the dirt and water weren't leaking through any holes in the bottom too much.

Using the opportunity of Bdubs facing away, he slid his arms around his abdomen. "You think it was a smart idea to get new plants right before we go on vacation?" He asked, pressing his forehead to his shoulder.

"You mean our honeymoon?" Bdubs brightly corrected. "Well it's not that big of a deal; I mean Pearl will be stopping by to feed Tugger, and she was already going to water the other plants around the apartment anyway!"

Doc kissed his shoulder and gently squeezed him. "I'm so excited," he sighed.

His husband squirmed in his arms which made him laugh. Reluctantly, he loosened his grip a little so Bdubs could turn around and face him. "I'm excited! Two whole weeks of relaxing? And exploring places I've never seen before? Hey, maybe if we do go to a beach, I can find a hot, shirtless surfer dude."

He burst out laughing and kissed his cheek. "Oh yeah? Maybe I'll find one too," he joked, feeling Bdubs' arms rub up and down the sides of his neck.

His husband kissed him, creating a feeling he would never get over in his stomach. "In all seriousness, we are going to have fun and relax. We deserve this kind of break." He kissed him again, though Doc smiled so he couldn't return the affection properly.

The smell of the garden shop was still clinging to Bdubs, though it may have been because he got some dirt on his shirt after pouring it into the pots. Either way, the smells of nature felt so... Bdubs.

From being so close to his husband, his heart was racing as though they were still in the early stages of dating. He prayed that he would never wake up to a day that he wasn't completely enamored with the man.

"What're you thinking about?" Bdubs asked, idly fixing his hair.

Doc giggled and leaned forward to press their foreheads together. "You," he sheepishly admitted.

The freckled man's face bloomed a deep red, but he shook his head. "What am I gonna do with you," he sighed. With a final kiss to his cheek, Doc pulled away in favor of cleaning up the mess on the balcony. Bdubs joined him in breaking down the cardboard boxes, lightly nudging his shoulder as he did so.

And although the intimate affection was always nice, and the idea of enjoying trips together left him floating on clouds, Doc realized what his favorite part of being with Bdubs was.

Enjoying the menial tasks; running errands, cleaning trash, washing dishes. And that, he figured, was as good of a sign of true love as any other.

-

The chapter title is such a niche reference that if anyone gets it I will give you a big 'ol kiss. (Not really but I would be very happy) 

Yes, I know this chapter was short but the next one will be a lot longer!!