Chapter 21 ✓

Chapter 21: Hope is the withered petal of a rose

•••

     What are humans as a creation? Are they heavenly colors, on a sky, painted in black and white? Are they raindrops on the rugged ground? What dreams can they outline? What wishes can they whisper in the dust of stars?

     Can't it happen that sometimes, we are guilty of a rain of blood, which will freeze our eyes? Can we break our own glass wings, trying to shelter souls that are too empty, in houses that are too noisy? 

     So what are humans by definition? What did God leave to protect his home? Are people just creatures with feelings, ready to throw hate at you and shoot arrows of bitterness in your heart?

    Taehyung has thought about this a lot in the last few days. He has no idea why. He doesn't know if it's related to Jungkook or not. He only knows that he feels more and more useless in any attempt to help the one he loves.

     Jungkook doesn't want to talk about what happened when Jackson captured him. And yes, Taehyung understands, of course, he damn well understands! He can realize how hard it is for the younger one to open such wounds, but he knows. The only way he can feel better is by saying how bad he feels actually. 

      And what hurts the agent the most is that Jungkook is trying to pretend. He tries to deny the fact that he feels so damn scared and bad, especially when Taehyung tries to talk to him about it. He tries to smile, although in his soul he cries with tears of blood. He is not at all the way he was when the older one met him. Now he is really trying to hide. In the past, he was somewhat more open about his pain, or at least, he didn't try to pretend he was fine when he wasn't. But now... now he considers Taehyung more like a stranger.

      "Do you know anything about Yoongi hyung?"

     The boy's weak voice pulls him out of his thoughts, and when he looks up, he sees Jungkook approaching the couch next to him. There is quite a distance between the two of them, but Taehyung doesn't try to draw this to his attention. He knows how important personal space is to Jungkook, especially after... after he was captured by that bastard.

      "I was thinking of going to see him later, to see if there are any improvements. Don't you want to come with me?" Taehyung tries to catch as much of the conversation as possible, to be able to continue the discussion with him.

       Jungkook takes a deep breath, then shakes his head. The last thing he wants to do is leave the house. He hasn't left the house for more than a week, at least not beyond the agent's yard. And he has no intention of leaving too soon.

      "You can go without me. You can tell me how Yoongi hyung feels after you come back." the younger one says while the other one smiles weakly.

       "I plan to go later, not now. Before that, don't you want to go somewhere? To a restaurant, or maybe to a movie?" Taehyung tries to get closer to Jungkook again, but he already knows he's trying in vain.

       Jungkook looks at the agent, trying not to let the tears fall down his cheeks again. He feels like a bastard. Like an asshole. He knows how miserable it makes Taehyung feel. He knows how bad it makes him feel. 

        He knows that since Jackson was caught and put behind bars, since he was found by Taehyung's team and released, nothing is as it used to be. If before he used to be damn cold and distant, now he is even worse than in the past. When he moved in with Taehyung, at least he used to talk more, although he always spoke sarcastically and coldly. But now, he doesn't even have the strength to speak like he used to. And he knows that this attitude of his deeply hurts the agent, but he can't do anything about it. Everything has recently become much too difficult to bear. The demons that he managed to banish from his mind with a lot of effort, have returned, and this time, stronger than ever.