29

They had begun to eat.

Her Kaizel boasting about the meal that day, Keegan teasing him about his skills. Eden had barely pressed her food to her lips when Keegan had abruptly slapped her fork out of her, flinging her plate away. She didn't know what happened due to her blindness, but there seemed to be something wrong with her food.

The men had been terrified as they swapped over the plates. The clatter of cutlery and the break of a plate had been obvious to her ears. They waved it off with laughter, explanations that sounded awkward to her ears. Kaizel said that his hand had slipped. Keegan said that Kaizel was clumsy and that she could have his food.

But the tension and the fear in the air had been palpable, and they held her tighter that night.

Something was going on with her men, something that they were hiding. Something that she didn't know because she couldn't see. And Eden needed her sight back to understand. But ignorance was bliss, and Eden didn't know if she wanted to break her happiness.

Seri would visit occasionally, bringing with her flowers that scented the air. The twins would give them space while they drank tea and Seri dipped her roots into the lake. She would talk and talk, and she talked until she forgot that Eden couldn't see anymore.

"This place is beautiful! I can see the moon. You know I envy you so much I—" She would pause and then splutter. "I'm sorry, Eden. I forgot! I'm such a stupid best friend."

"It's fine." Eden would reply, her smile bitter. "They told me they would come back one day, my eyes." Her mind flashed back to the memory of her question, of how they had reacted when she had asked if her eyes were salvageable.

The pause had been deafening, a second too long to be normal. But their voices betrayed none of the emotions that seemed to tear through their frames. It was moments like that when Eden wanted to see their faces. For in her mind she didn't know how they looked like, she didn't know what they were thinking.

And she wanted to know.

They'll come back, the twins had said. They will. You just need to rest. We're working on something. You'll get back your eyes. Would she really get back her eyes?

"You really don't remember anything?" Seri's voice broke her out from her thoughts and Eden moved her head towards her voice.

"Not really. There's a gap. I think my eyes are the key, I think I need to be able to see, seeing will kickstart my memory." Eden was sure of it. Too sure. She furrowed her brows.

It was the stone. The stone was heavy, suffocating and thick. It was the same in her mind, the stone that blocked out her memories. The spell that had resulted in her loss of sight was also the spell that blocked her memories, and she was sure that they were linked.

"Your eyes, huh." Seri's voice was filled with her sympathy. "Maybe it's better if you didn't see."

"What?" Eden gasped.

Her ears were incredibly alert after the days in the darkness and she would not have caught Seri's last words if she weren't blind. Her ears were her eyes these days, so were her twins. They helped her to see better, described the world with words that made her forget that she couldn't see.

"Huh? Oh, sorry, just rambling. The world is shit. Sometimes, you don't want to be able to look at it. People are ugly you know?"

Eden's breath hitched at her words, her heart stammering in her chest. She felt odd when the heat coloured her cheeks. "The twins... Are they ugly?"

"What? No, of course not. What makes you say that?"

"I don't know, they just... Seem really handsome to me, even though I've yet to touch their faces."