47

"You have to understand that even with the Peach there is a possibility they might not wake from their craze. We've had younger dragons rape their soulmates to death," the Empress said softly. "There is a risk, but we will do anything in our power to help you." Eden swallowed thickly, her mind drifting to her twins. To die by their hands or to live on her own. The decision was easy, the answer painfully obvious.

"Do not feel obligated to do this," the Emperor said, his expression solemn and sad. "A sky dragon's soulmate is to be protected and cherished. They made us promise to protect you and if need be, provide you with potions to forget their existence."

Forget all their memories? All the pain? How could she do that as they suffered?

"You may start anew, and the clan will provide you with a comfortable life if that is what you wish."

"Eden," Seri called from her corner of the room, and she turned to look at the wood nymph. Her best friend gave her a small sad smile. "You can live with me and my family if you would like to. You don't have to do this. I'll care for you for the rest of your life."

It was a sweet offer, one that Eden could see in her head. She would swim with Seri in her forest, surrounded by the most beautiful scenery, drenched in the light of the sun. She might be happy, she might be able to forget the memories of them. And her mind urged her to listen to Seri, to take her hand and leave. But Eden couldn't. She couldn't run away again now that she knew the truth. She needed to do this because her heart told her to.

And her heart was with her twins.

"I'll do it. I—They are my soulmates," Eden whispered, glancing at the occupants in the room.

"And because you are their soulmates, they wanted you safe," the Emperor said. "I may be their father, and I would do anything for my sons, but I understand as a fellow dragon. I would want my mate safe. Perhaps it would have been better if we didn't tell you about th—"

"No, it didn't matter." Eden shook her head. "I knew I would have returned despite my anger. I would have returned even if they didn't love me."

Eden's voice broke, trembling with her tears as she spoke. "They are my family. The only family I've got in this world. It might have taken some time for me to cool my head, but I would have returned to them. I would have gone back even if they tried to kill me. The explanation you've given me for their actions fuel my desire to return. I need to do this."

And that was the truth that she had not wanted to face. The truth that made her tears flow down her cheeks and the nightmares plague her sleep. She would have returned even if they had wanted to kill her. And she would have willingly died by their hands as long as she could have a last and final glimpse of their faces.

She loved them.

"You might die, Eden—"

"And if it were them, they would do this for me in a heartbeat." Eden inhaled and exhaled steadily, pleading for strength. "I could not live in this world knowing that I could have saved them, and I will not want to if they're not here. Take me to them, let me see them. Let me save them."

For she loved them more than she loved herself. 

A/N: Hello dear friends, hope you're having a great day! I've just launched my subscription platform on Inkitt✨! If you'd like to join me to read ahead, here's a 5% discount code that's available from now till the 1st of July 2024: emiree5

Inkitt Subscription: https://www.inkitt.com/tinyeyecat

Thank you so much for the love and see you soon! 💕