35

Keegan

"A Peach of Immortality for a human? You must be absurd! That has never happened before!" A distant relative tittered, shaking her head.

In fact, they were all chuckling. The heads of the houses were laughing to themselves as Keegan and Kaizel knelt at their feet, grovelling on the stone floor. Keegan gritted his teeth together, clenching his fist so tightly that his knuckles had turned white. His father and mother remained quiet at their thrones, watching them with keen, sharp eyes.

The twins hadn't exactly left the Heavens on good terms. And the memory of their mistakes remained fresh in the minds of the council which was why they treated their requests with humour. Keegan inhaled and exhaled steadily to calm his rising anger.

They had once been here at the feet of the council for the prank on the centaur god. Their wings had been chained, locked down and vanished by their father before their eyes. Keegan had been humiliated and bitter that day, desperate and horrified at the temporary loss of his wings. For the ability to fly was once his only form of freedom and ultimate joy.

He was free in the clouds, free in the storm, free from the duties and lessons.

His father had taken away that freedom. A sky dragon's wings were their pride and joy, it was their identity, the root of their strength. It was a part of them, something essential. Something important. Like how a medusa's hair was important to her, like how a ghost's ability to turn visible was indispensable, like how a human's eyes were necessary.

Their father had essentially made them into dragons with disabilities. A dragon god that was unable to fly was not a dragon. And at that moment, when Keegan had watched his father take his wings away, he had been so angry. So, so fucking angry. His father had done it without a word, cold eyes glaring at the twins as the council encouraged and watched him do it.

The council was cruel. And Keegan didn't blame Kaizel for threatening to shit on their precious artefacts when his father declared that they would be sent to Altair and Vega. It was a low blow, the lowest he could go. To Keegan then, it was the equivalent of cutting off a human's hands and then sending them straight to fucking jail.

He let the bitter smile stretch across his lips. Now, he didn't give a fuck about his wings. In fact, he was sure that if his father removed the enchantment, his wings would be ruined from her wounds. The muscles at his back were torn and ripped into fucking shreds, the scarring so hideous and awful that moving his wings would hurt like a bitch.

It would take a while to fly, even longer if he continued to drink down that poison as if it were his morning coffee.

As gods, they would not die from such injuries, and their sky dragon lineage should ensure that their wounds would heal completely. But the poison prevented that. It was, after all, meant to kill him slowly. Keegan gulped and a jolt of fear spurted in his chest. But it was nothing to him as compared to the fear of the death of his soulmate by his hands.

And Keegan would do anything to protect her from himself. The poison had seemed to work for a while, but it had failed and there was not enough time. Approaching the council for help was their last resort, begging for a Peach was their last shot for happiness with her. Keegan sniffed, a soft smile on his lips. He had once vowed to never grovel at their feet, but now here he was, begging for the love of his life.

"I was surprised that the princes of the Heavens would declare an emergency council meeting. I thought there was something catastrophic." Their uncle shook his head, thumping his mug on the table. "But a human conquest? Was she unable to withstand your strength and stamina? Do you need the Peach to strengthen her body?"