34

He tripped over his feet, slamming into the kitchen counter. His glazed, lust-filled eyes darted over the bottles on the table. The bottle. The bottle. His mind reminded in a mantra. He gripped the wooden box, burning off the lock and key, precautions for the love of his life. He pulled out the glass bottle. It was a brief moment of cold glass against his hot skin and he popped off the cork, tipping it back to his lips.

He bit down so hard upon the head of the glass that it broke between his lips. He was swallowing, swallowing it down despite how wrong it tasted. It was cold to his hot body, and it chilled him to the bone, swirling painfully in his stomach. It quelled the fire and forced a gut-wrenching cough from his lips. The taste of sweet rust painting the back of his throat as he hacked into the sink, spilling a mouthful of blood over the silver. He slammed the glass onto the counter so hard that it cracked and burst into a heap of dust.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

He inhaled and exhaled as pain throbbed through his body, reverberating at his back. His wings were tearing, breaking just a little more from his already present injuries. His wounds reopening again, ripping the skin as blood streamed down his frame to pool at his feet. He thought he had control. He stared emptily at the sink. He should have had control, but he slipped so easily. So quickly. It would have had been impossible to escape if not for his brother.

Fuck! He reached back touching the raw skin of his exposed back. He would lose his wings at the rate he was going, but the poison was necessary to keep her alive. It was necessary for her survival, for it was the only thing that calmed his burning heart. And he would give up his ability to fly for her in a damn heartbeat.

His dreams or the love of his life? The decision was the easiest one he had ever made in his life.

Kaizel spat out another globe of blood, staring angrily at the crimson liquid that drained down the sink. The poison was different for each dragon. For Kaizel, whose ability stemmed from the flames in the volcanoes, his poison was from the frost of the tallest mountain peak, mixed with the cold blood of his brother. For Keegan, it was the opposite, Kaizel's fiery blood mixed with the fire from the magma of the Earth.

For now, it was the only thing that allowed the dragons to stay close to their soulmate without losing their heads, and Kaizel would mix a specific amount of poison in the brothers' meals. They drank that shit by the gallon, consuming it until their fires were so weak that they could barely breathe.

Imagine their fucking horror when Eden had almost eaten Keegan's portion, consuming a poison that would have definitely killed her on the spot. The panic had been silent for her sake, but the brothers had trembled that night, holding her as if she had died that day.

Another mistake.

They always made mistakes when it came to Eden. Everything had been a mistake. Meeting her, pranking her, touching her, leaving her alone to the medusa. If they went back a little further, angering the council and their father was a mistake too. But they hoped that they could right their wrongs, hoped that they could learn to control the fire in the time-stop, that she would forgive them if they showed her their love even after she regained her memories. They dreamt of a life of something better, something more than just uncontrollable lust after consuming those soul flowers.

The brothers didn't fucking care if their wings would rot. This was their punishment for harming their soulmate. This was their punishment for letting her slip straight into that medusa's den. They would protect her in her darkness forever, and they would give her everything.

Even her sight when it came to it.

But it seemed that the poison was not enough to stop the soul fire, a fire that would get worst the moment they consumed those goddamn soul flowers. A soul fire that would not give them the ability to think clearly. A soul fire that would make them her murderers.

They seemed to have gotten better at controlling it. Their fires were calm in each other's presence, and with the poison in their blood, it became calmer. It was the only reason that they let themselves make love to her, for they had assumed that the fire could be controlled. But Kaizel lost fucking control. And they didn't have time. At the rate they were going there was only one path down the road.

Their death or her death. The answer was obvious.

Kaizel's eyes prickled as tears burned at the back of his throat. She would be fine if they died. The initial break would hurt her greatly as the fire in her chest dwindled and burned out. But Eden was human, and as a human the fire was unnecessary. This was not the case for the dragons whose life force was tied to the soul fire.

He ran a hand through his hair. By the gods, how had things fucked up so quickly and rapidly? The pranks, her punishment, her eyes, the poison, his need. The guilt filled him again, ravaging his body and taking the oxygen from his lungs.

He almost killed her. Again.

Just as how he had almost killed her with that damn fucking prank.

Just as how he almost killed her by sending her away.

And he would kill her if he could not learn to control the fire.

His face grew bitter, and he roared, slashing his claws straight through the walls in his inability to express his anger. The furniture fell, the pots, the pans. They clattered noisily on the floor, breaking into thousands of pieces and slicing at his skin.

He hated himself.

He fell to his knees, digging his fingers into his skin as tears dripped from his eyes. If he could not learn to control himself, there would be the blood of his lover on his hands. They could not keep her here forever, they knew that. They were running on a clock, and time was steadily slipping from their hands.

Soon the barrier would be completely gone, and he would kill her.

The sound of her pleasure perked his ears, and he found himself crawling back to the door to the bed despite his emotions. He pressed himself to the wall, a hand to his nose as he closed his eyes and fisted his angry, throbbing cocks to her moans. His fingers pumping himself to quick release. He came three times over his hands in quick rapid succession, shooting pearly sticky release all over his palm. But it gave him no relief, just a deep aching feeling of sorrow in his chest and the burn of disgust in his loins.

Everything was not going his way when it came to his soulmate. And he could do nothing but let Fate control his life. It was at that moment when Kaizel hated his sky dragon lineage more than ever. And there was only one way to go from here on out... To drop their pride, to seek help for Eden. They would beg the council for help, beg his father for aid and ask for a Peach of Immortality.

For a human.

Kaizel scoffed, shaking his head. The stuck-up assholes were going to flip out at their request, for humans were the lowest of creatures to the citizens of the Heavens. But Kaizel would beg if he had to, for it might save him and the love of his life. 

-

A/N: Read the book at https://www.patreon.com/tinyeyecat