Chapter Seven

Marilyn

"Dad listen to me!" I yell angrily at dad.

He jumps in fright then swirls around to me.

"Shut it, Marilyn!" His face turns a tomato-y red I've never seen before. "The divorce has gotten you all shaken! I have been called in for an emergency and you're wasting my time! I need to go out there and save lives, it's what I do!"

He quickly turns back around and rumages through his things. He adjusts his police pin and checks his pockets for all he needs. Once ready, he nods to himself in approval and rushes out the door, someone speaking on his walkie-talkie.

I heave a big, annoyed sigh.

"Maybe the divorce did shake me up a bit!" I scream at no one in specific. Jacob and Carey are out with friends doing whatever and I turned down mine because I needed to talk to dad about Jennifer. Luckily, Jennifer's out, too. She's been giving me evil looks and I've caught her searching through dad's things, and once even in mine. I take pictures and show them to dad but he refuses she's doing anything bad. I mean, Jennifer did marry dad so it's not like you won't see her looking through our stuff.

Right now, I've had enough. I need to get to the bottom of this.

I try to remember the things my dance coordinator told me the day I showed up for practice and the way I felt when she told me dance was a going to be no more. I was shocked and confused, and I still am! She didn't tell me why they were shutting it down. All she said was to talk to my parents.

Angry yet determined, I dash up the stairs to my dad's room that Jennifer just so happens to be sharing with him...for now.

"You're a witch," I mutter to myself, feeling a bit better about what I am about to do.

I open the cracked door and peep inside. I know this is silly since Jennifer's been out for some time and dad just left, but I guess it's the guilt. Once I am certain they're not inside, I step in and immediately go to the side of the bed Jennifer occupies, mom's side.

God, I miss her.

Anticipated, I rummage through Jennifer's cupboard to find something, anything that'll prove to dad that she's not who she appears to be. She's manipulative and sneaky, and is only using our family as a means to protect herself against the law. She has everybody on her side already, she blinded Carey, Steven, and dad, but she won't take away what I truly see in her.

I give up and start to walk out when something in the bathroom catches my eye.

Walking in suspiciously, I notice for the first time a rug on the ground. Underneath it, something is sticking up from it. I've been in my dad's room before but I've never seen this. Cautiously, I quickly throw the rug off and to my surprise, there's a light brown trap door. The metal that is used to pull open the door has been left in a position that makes it obvious someone has opened it. I'm not sure how recently, but why is thee a trap door in our house hiding under a rug? And why haven't I noticed this before? Was it here when mom and dad were still together?

A memory comes to mind and I do think that mom mentioned this door before but that I was a while ago. I don't think I've ever gone down it...

Jayson

My mind is racing and I can't concentrate.

"I am not going through with human trials...it's wrong," Dr. Jean says without looking at me. He continues mixing the formula I gave him, a choice I humbly regret now. How was I supposed to know that he was going to use it to find a way for humans to have no weakness and test it on actual humans?