Chapter Twenty Nine

__________

Marilyn

__________

"Stop trying to stop me Jayson!" The giant lizard growls. So this is the guy Jayson's been telling about...

Peering through the corner, I wait for the perfect moment to pour my newly combined formula onto the lizard - giant. It's structure amazes me. I've never seen anything like it before. I don't think anyone has but Jayson. 

"Humans need weaknesses," Jayson says, doing a series of flips to dodge the lizard's blows. The lizard misses and tears a big and long rip in the nearby metal lockers. "Everything has a weakness!"

Once I get over the fact that I don't have the special senses or strength Jayson does which makes me a very easy target, I notice he's wearing his costume. 

Sighing in relief, the bottle clanks against the wall. The sound is quiet but of course the lizard hears it.

Shit, shit, shit!

My heart beat speeds up as I hear the lizard heavy footsteps slowly progressing my way. I can hear him sniffing for me and Jayson trying to distract him.

Backing away from the corner, I hear a loud bang and I know it's Jayson being thrown against the lockers.

When the lizard has fully turned the corner, the mass of him shocks me. He looks a good seven feet tall, has a long mouth, and his tail is so large it can knock down a truck load of bricks.

I gulp. This wasn't supposed to happen. I was supposed to sneak up behind him and pour the formula on him. He's not supposed to see me!

"Who is this?" His voice is deep and it gives me the creeps. 

I gulp but try to be strong.

"Stay away!" I extend the bottle out and hold it like a weapon. 

"Marilyn..." He says. "Very, very smart girl. Top in your grade. Isn't that right?"

My body is shaking and every step he takes towards me, I take one away from him.

From behind the lizard, I see Jayson creeping up on him.

The lizard follows me eyes and turns around quickly. 

Just as he does, Jayson sprays him in the face and I use the opportunity to pour my formula on him. 

I watch as my master piece does it's magic and burns through the lizard's skin. It mostly burns his arm but the pain is enough to drive him away.

He stumbles into the nearby boy's bathroom and soon everything is still.

I look at Jayson reluctantly. I hope he's not mad at me for coming back inside. I could've gotten myself killed! And by a killer lizard in school. That's not how I want to die.

I want to die in my sleep. That way I won't know and I won't suffer.

"Jesus Marilyn," Jayson sighs, stumbling over to me.

We embrace each other. I ignore the way Jayson's smell makes me want to gag and I ignore how dirty he is. All that matters is that he's still alive and so am I.

"I know you told me to go but I could'nt just not help you!" I snuggle closer to him, wanting to be kept warm. "If I hadn't stopped him, he would've - "

"I'm sorry," Jayson interrupts. I look at him spektically.

"For what?" I ask. "You have nothing to apologize for. I was the one who didn't listen."