Chapter Fourteen

__________

Jayson

__________

The Night Before School

"Uncle Ben!" I shout.

I try to shove my way past the crowd of people but they keep pushing back.

"Hey, hey!" A police man shouts. "Stay back!"

"That's my uncle!" My vision immediately gets blurry and my body trembles; not because of the low temperature. Because I am standing here, above my lifeless uncle, who only minutes ago got in a fight with me. "Uncle Ben." I barely let out.

Dropping down on my knees, I get in contact with the puddle of blood underneath him, but I don't care about getting dirty.

Reaching to Uncle Ben's pale face, I hold it in my hands and try to keep him. Keep him alive. Help him fight. Maybe if I really hope and pray, he'll wake up and tell everyone it's a joke. Maybe.

Both Uncle Ben doesn't play jokes like these.

How could I have been so inconsiderate? Who did this to you, Uncle Ben? Please don't leave me! Please! Please. I'm so sorry...

__________

Marilyn

__________

"I'm coming to pick you up." Tanisha says over the phone.

I shrug. I kind of wanted to pick Jayson up today but he's not picking up my calls or answering my texts.

"You go 'head." I answer.

"What're you wearin'?" She asks. "I need to go shopping! I have nothin' in my closet anymore. You know, last hear's fashion is out, this year's fashion is in..

"Girl," I start, searching through my own closet for something to wear. "-you have everything. I have never seen you wear the same fucking thing so far this year."

"Have you seen my closet?" I hear her moving hangers.

There's a brief pause but it's not awkward.

"Oh, la la!" I exclaim, taking the hanger with a cute shirt on it off the rack. "I have this really cute Indian-looking trapeze top. Y'know, the one I wore to Michael's party?"

"Oh, yeah! I love that top! Wear that but...your daddy'll kill you if he saw you walkin' out the house like that." Tanisha cracks up and I have to hold the phone away from my ear for a second.

"I know right. He'd probably arrest me for Elicit Fashion Taste and Over Confidence."

We laugh.

"But thankfully...daddy's not here." I try to mimic Tanisha's sassy voice. "And I'll wear some..." My eyes stumble upon another top.

"What?"

"Actually I'll wear the pinkish tunic, printed jeans, and my Pastry."

"Better...Imma borrow that shirt from you. It's so cute. You're so spoiled, child."

"And by borrow you mean pull of my skin, wear it the next day, and say you lost it when I ask for its return."

Tanisha gasps.

"Wear red lip stick," she adds. "Logan was soo checking you out last Friday."

I smile at the thought of Jayson. Months before now, I thought Logan was cute. Logan: tall, ripped, popular, charming and exceeding in sports...