19

The Berlin Wall stood until November 9, 1989, when the head of the East German Communist Party announced that citizens of the GDR could cross the border whenever they pleased. That night, ecstatic crowds swarmed the wall. Some crossed freely into West Berlin, while others brought hammers and picks and began to chip away at the wall itself. The Berlin Wall will remain one of the most powerful and enduring symbols of the Cold War.

At least, I would like to think of it that way.

~

1991

"Good evening, and Merry Christmas to all Americans across our great country.
During these last few months, you and I have witnessed one of the greatest dramas of the twentieth century -- the historic and revolutionary transformation of a totalitarian dictatorship, the Soviet Union, and the liberation of its people. As we celebrate Christmas -- this day of peace and hope -- I thought we should take just a few minutes to reflect on what these events mean for us, as Americans."

I looked at my television, watching the broadcast. It was truly a historical event.

"For over 40 years, the United States led the West in the struggle against Communism and the threat it posed to our most precious values. This struggle shaped the lives of all Americans. It forced all nations to live under the spectre of nuclear destruction. From Union, a Commonwealth..."

This was it, right? There would be no more fighting? Our world was changing for the better, and it would finally end.

"That confrontation is now over. The nuclear threat -- while far from gone -- is receding. Eastern Europe is free. The Soviet Union itself is no more. This is a victory for democracy and freedom. It's a victory for the moral force of our values."

I turned off the television before the president of the United States could finish his speech. I was sure Alfred was busy with many aspects right now, so I tried not to reach out until he was ready. "Mr. England, it is a lovely day out; we both can't be stuck inside!"

"I'd rather stay inside than go out."

"That's insane, I'm sure there are plenty of things to do. Have you seen your brothers lately? Or speak to any friends?"

I looked to the princess, who continuously urged me to go out, despite not going out much herself any longer. She worried about me just as Lizzie had. They were like mums to me. Watching over me, ensuring I was okay. "No, I haven't, and I am fine," I spoke. She giggled at what I said, and I turned to look at her.

"What?" I asked. She continued smiling. She had this sweet aura I couldn't describe to just anyone. She was adored by the people, and I was sure she would be a very beloved queen. "You know, now that this silly Cold War is over, you don't have to worry about politics. I keep telling you to relax, but you somehow find yourself in trouble. However, all of that is over. Enjoy your time now before you get dragged into something silly. You know we are completely fine without your worry. Do you understand?"

She pulled me up, straightening me out. "I suggest making friends again. It doesn't have to be Mr. France, but I'm sure there are plenty of nations who are dying to talk to you again. What do you say? Go out again?" She asked, hopeful.

Francis and I had worked closely during the whole ordeal of the Berlin Wall. However, we sort of stopped. We didn't try and contact each other, and I think it was for the best. I wanted to be friends exclusively, and he didn't protest against it. Maybe, he also agreed that it was time to bury our feelings in the past. None of it was going anywhere, and it would have hurt us more.

"Well, I could go out and talk to people..." I spoke.

My options needed to be close. Maybe Spain? I couldn't be friends with Portugal again despite his loyal allyship with my country. There was Prussia...we had gotten along recently. Maybe Belgium? Or...maybe as far as Japan? We used to get along. We hardly talk now, but it could be a good idea to bring up past relationships and build on them.

"Perfect! I look forward to hearing about it!" She laughed. She patted my shoulder gently, and I turned to her, surprised. "It doesn't have to be new friends, darling. Maybe friends with a therapist could be soothing!" She laughed. My eyes widened, and I turned to where she was walking.

"What? What is that supposed to mean?" I asked, shocked. She smiled at me, shrugging her shoulders. "Darling, you look awfully depressed. You could use a good therapy session. Although, I was only having a laugh."

What she said finally made something click inside of me.

"What?" She asked. I shook my head at her as if saying nothing, but I had an epiphany. I had stupidly realized what could have been wrong with me the entire time, why I contemplated my life constantly—I had this feeling of impending doom: the sadness, guilt and uneasiness from eating or doing anything for that matter.

Once again, I had been naive to my emotions. I had been alive for so long but never had a chance to learn about myself and my feelings. I had ignored them easily, but now it had caught up to me, and I didn't know what to do.

But now...

I finally realized it.

I wasn't going to let it get in my way any longer.

"You are right; I could go for some air, thank you," I smiled. I began to walk toward her, passing her out the door. She looked at me, a bit confused, but I smiled. "Oh? Well, that is good to hear," she laughed. I smiled at her sweetly, walking away quickly.

I wasn't going to let my sadness control me. I will live my existence in my own control. I was tired of some factors influencing how I felt. I was going to be happy for once. I will find it somehow. Somewhere.

I could do it if I wanted to.

Even if I felt that it could be challenging, I could do it!