10

1988

"Hello, everyone! We are very pleased many of you could make it for this great announcement that has been years in the making. Almost three years, to be exact. It is my ultimate pleasure to announce the construction of the new Eurostar!"

Everyone began to cheer as I began. This board was covered with a sheet. That soon exposed the new plan. There was the press taking photos, with the presence of the royal family. Francis stood to the side beside some French representatives. Many other nations, such as the boys, Germany, my brothers, Spain, Portugal, and others, came to witness the announcement. It was a big deal for people like Francis and me to want to build something that could connect us. However, we aren't barbarians any longer...we don't need to fight that way any longer, and I am sure many could agree.

"The Eurostar will bring both our nations closer, and I look forward to the construction of the train," I added. Everyone had been here for some time, and I was getting to the point where I wanted to leave.

Alone...

No one else...

However, Francis was like a leech.

Was it odd for me to call him names and be helplessly in love with him? Probably. However, It was not as if I was going to tell him. I will take my feelings to the grave. He will get over it eventually, and so will I. "Now, a few words from our friend across the Dover, Mr. France," I smiled. I pointed toward him, and the crowd began to clap and cheer.

"Ah, Thank you to everyone who could be here today; it isn't every century that we can all come together like this. Thankfully, since the entente, we all have grown closer. I want to start by saying thank you. Thank you to Mr. England, who, despite our history, has stuck by my side. I came up with this idea because I knew it would benefit our people. Easier to travel and forth promptly. Mr. England and I have gotten very close recently, so I hope our relationship will be reflected through our people!"

Honestly, the way he says it makes it sound romantic. It caused many people to look at me; all I could do was smile nervously. That idiot will have people up my Arse!

And not in a sexy way!

I turned my head to the boys, seeing them giggle. I had begun to move toward them slowly. Honestly, they never made anything better. It was as if they actually wanted us to get together.

"What's so funny?" I whispered. I smiled at the boys, and immediately they began to look away, whistling. "Oh, nothing, we are just in a good mood," Alfred smiled.

Well, I don't blame him for using that believable excuse. Right now, tensions between him and the Soviet Union were dying out, so he was in a better mood. Some things still occurred, but it was coming to a point where other countries in the USSR wanted to... opt out. This meant that there was a chance this long Cold War, which had been lasting since a little after World War Two, would finally come to an end.

"Bullshit, you and Matthew are up to no good again..."

"Huh? Why involve me too? I'm innocent!"

"Pfft, you are the mastermind behind most of our schemes; I only execute them!"

People began to clap, and I watched as Francis finished his speech. Great! We missed it.

"Ah, well, if you excuse me, I am going to be an actual adult and talk to important people," I spoke. Alfred rolled his eyes at me and stopped me before I could leave. "Arthur, I don't understand why the two of you won't be honest with each other. All you have to do is say those three words and all your worries will disappear!"

"It's not that easy; why are the two of you so insistent?" I asked. I pulled away from him and came closer to Matthew, who had a saddened look on his face. "Well, we just want to see the two of you happy. There is so much tension between the two of you, whether you realize it or not. We've seen it for the past hundred years, and maybe with how things have changed...well...we hoped the two of you could finally be together," Matthew spoke.

I breathed out, defeated. I know he only meant well...I knew they both did, so it was hard to be upset with them. Besides everything that's happened between Francis and me, I don't think I could tell him.

Weirdly, all the bad things I had experienced in my lifetime were catching up with me. I didn't have time to experience romance like this because I was too busy dealing with my sadness and impending doom.

I never told anyone about how hard everything has been for me. I feel immense guilt for the terrible things I've done. I feel scared and have nightmares of my days in that locked-up cell. I was in there because I was stupid and let my guard down around Francis. I don't understand how things from the past could affect me terribly.

"We want you both to be happy...you deserve it..."

Matthew spoke sweetly, making me sadder than I was before. "Well...I don't deserve it...so please...both of you...for my sake, drop it..." I stuttered. I looked at them genuinely, and they stayed silent. I was sure they could tell how much it was stressing me out. I won't distance myself from Francis because I've grown. I swore never to do that again. Besides, I don't want to be away from him.

I love him, but it must be away from him. There was no greater love than the love I have for him, but it is that love that must be secret. Remembering all the times we shared together, obviously in love, is bittersweet. We were so naive to our feelings. We didn't understand the concept of 'love' and therefore didn't understand our feelings for each other. I am not sure when or how he realized how he felt, but for me, it was a big deal.

I had never loved someone like how humans did. I didn't think it was possible for any of us to feel this way, but here I was...feeling this way.

The feelings are still new to me, and I am working out the details as I work out my feelings toward other aspects of my life. This was about me having a big contemplation about the meaning of my life.

"Hey! What are all of you talking about?" Francis suddenly approached us. He placed a hand on my shoulder, and I turned to look at him with a still expression. We were all outside, so I had the pleasure of looking at him as the sun hit his complexion.

"We were just talking," I spoke. I gently moved away from him, and noticed how it bothered him a bit.

It isn't deep; please don't overthink it.

"Well, I only came to see if you were free tomorrow?"

"Me?"

"Yes!"

Francis laughed at my response, and I could see the boys giggling. "That would be totally radical for the two of you! He is hella free!"

"Alfred, stop with the American slang," Francis laughed. However, all he could do was give him a thumbs up. We were all dysfunctional.