Chapter Thirteen

*Austin's POV*
*later that night*

Madison and I stood in the back yard, throwing the baseball back and forth.

"Turn your hip a little more when you throw Mads."

She turned her body more and threw the ball. It threw right over my shoulder.

She sighed. "Ugh! Austin I suck at this."

I smiled and opened my mouth to say something when the back door opened. "Can you guys come inside please?" Dad said.

We went inside and sat down in the living room. Mom was sitting there already, drinking a glass of wine.

Dad sat down next to her and looked at Madison. "You've been here almost all day. Have your parents called or came looking for you?"

Madison shook her head. "No."

Dad sighed. "And they never noticed that you were sleeping over here?"

Her face turned red. "No."

Mom smiled at her. "Maddy, I talked to your brother. He's driving here from Michigan, so it's gonna take him a few days."

Mads nodded. "Okay."

Mom reached over and took Dad's hand. "After the things you told me today, I do not want you back in that house. So, I'm gonna go next door and talk to your parents about letting you stay here until your brother comes."

I smiled. "Really?"

Dad nodded. "Yes. But there is going to be some rules."

I looked over at Madison. She had a huge smile on her face. "Thank you so much, Mr and Mrs Carlile."

"What the rules, dad?" I asked.

"Our number one rule, you two cannot sleep in the same room. Madison will be sleep in the guest room." He said.

Madison nodded. "I can't thank you enough."

Mom smiled and stood up, going over to Madison and hugging her. "You're apart of our family now, sweetie."

Madison hugged her back. "I'll go with you to talk to my parents. I know how to get through to them."

---
*Madison's POV*

I opened my front door. "Mom?"

Austin's mom walked in behind me. She covered her mouth and nose with her hand, probably trying to cover the smell of vomit.

I turned and looked at her. "I'm sorry about the smell."

She shook her head. "Don't be sorry."

I turned back and looked in the living room. My parents sat on the couch. Mom sipped a drink and watched tv. Dad drank out of a bottle of vodka and mumbled to himself.

"Mom?" I said, walking in.

She turned and looked at me. Her eyes were glassy and red. "What?" She said.

Austin's mom stepped in front of me. "Hello, I'm your neighbor. My name is-"

Mom rolled her eyes. "I don't have any money to give you."

She shook her head. "Oh, no. I'm not here for money."

I touched Mom's shoulder. "Mom, please listen to her."

"I know that you're sending Madison back to live with her brother." Austin's mom said.

Dad stood up, stumbling to the side. "Yeah? What about it? She's too much trouble and we don't want her anymore." He stood there, his body swaying.

Mrs. Carlile shifted uncomfortably. "Well, I would like to let Madison come stay with me until your son comes to get her."

Mom waved her away. "Take her." She glared at me. "She's a whore." She looked at Mrs Carlile. "You know she tried to steal my husband."

I wanted to cry. "Mom, stop."

Dad spit on the floor in front of me. "Shut up, bitch."

I looked at him. "You shut up, asshole!"

He stepped towards me and grabbed my arm. "Go to hell!"

Mrs Carlile grabbed me and pushed me behind her. "All I need is your permission to let her stay with me and then we'll be on our way."

Dad took a drink from his bottle. "Yeah, take her! Don't bring her back."

I nodded and took Mrs Carlile's hand, pulling her upstairs. When we got to my room I grabbed a bag and threw as much clothes in it as possible. I grabbed my school bag and Mrs Carlile grabbed another box of clothes. We got out of the house as fast as we could and went back to her house.

Austin showed me my room and helped me get situated. After I took a shower and got into pajamas I said goodnight to everyone. Once I was alone I cried. I cried for hours.