Chapter 38

*Madison's POV*
*few days later*

I sat at my office at work and flipped through some files of my latest designs. Chris Fronzak and I were working on a collaboration soon and I wanted to make sure everything was perfect. I had been at work all day and was waiting for Sean to come in and approve my orders but he was running late, as usual.

My phone rang and I picked it up. "Madison Haythe, how can I help you?"

"Hello, Miss Haythe. My name is Jane, I work at Zachary's school."

I frowned and looked at my clock. Zachary should've been out of school by now. "Is everything okay?"

"Zachary's fine. It just seems that his ride home forgot about him." She said.

"What?" I said. "No. That can't be right. His uncle should've been there to pick him up at 2."

She sighed. "Yeah that's what we thought too. Caiden Hill's mother, Mary, offered to take him home. She said she's a friend of yours?"

I rolled my eyes. "No. She's not my friend and I would actually be way more comfortable if she wasn't allowed anywhere near Zachary." I glanced up and saw Sean coming in. I put my hand up. "I'll call my friend and have her come get him. I'm about an hour away right now. I am so sorry about this, Jane. Thank you for calling me." I hung up the phone and looked at Sean. "I'm seriously gonna fucking kill Austin."

"What happened?" He asked.

I stood up and handed him my files. "He forgot to pick up Zachary from school. So now I have to call Amanda."

He took the files. "Call her. I'll look over these."

I walked towards the window and Sean sat down in my chair. I called Amanda and she said she'd go pick him up. I hung up and slammed my phone down on the desk.

Sean patted my arm. "It's okay."

I felt a breakdown coming. Tears started flowing and my chest heavy. "It's not okay." I said, my voice cracking.

He turned and looked at me. "Madison, what's going on? You haven't been yourself in days."

I sighed and lost it. I started crying so hard my whole body shook. Sean stood up and hugged me. I tried to talk, but it all came out so fast it was like one sentence.

"Austin broke up with me because I wouldn't have sex with him and then he almost cheated on me with this skanky mom from Zach's school and he said he felt guilty and that's why he dumped me and he says he still loves me but he hasn't tried to get back with me and I just love him so much and I don't wanna lose him!" I sobbed.

Sean squeezed me. "Hey hey, slow down, Mads. It's okay." He rubbed my back and I calmed down a little bit. "Everything's gonna be okay. Austin loves you. He's just confused."

I pulled away and grabbed my purse. "No. I need answers. I have to go." I said, storming out.

---

I drove home like a crazy person. What usually took me an hour only took me 25 minutes. But when I pulled up to the house, my heart literally stopped. An ambulance and two cop cars were parked on my lawn. I threw my car in park at the curb and got out, running towards the house. I got halfway through across the lawn and they pulled Austin out of the house on a gurney, an oxygen mask on his face and his shirt ripped open.

Someone came up behind me. It was an EMT. "Who are you?"

I held back a sob. "That's my fiancé. What happened?"

He pushed me towards the ambulance. "This is the fiance."

I climbed in and sat down next to the other EMT. "What happened?"

The female EMT hooked him up to some machines and the I felt the ambulance move. "Your neighbor saw him come outside to check the mail, when he walked back inside she saw him faint in the doorway. When we got here his heart was completely stopped. He revived him but he's still unconscious."

I felt myself crying. I grabbed his hand and kissed it. "Austin wake up, baby."

The EMT's were frantic to make sure he made it to the hospital. When we got there they took him upstairs and someone walked me to the waiting room. I was so upset they offered to give me something to calm my nerves. I refused it and paced around the waiting room for 5 1/2 hours until the doctor came and got me.