Chapter Nineteen

*Austin's POV*
*3 weeks later*

I got in my truck after baseball tryouts and couldn't stop smiling. I made it. I made the team.

I pulled my cell phone out of my bag and noticed I had 15 missed calls from Madison. I chuckled. I think she was more excited about tryouts than I was.

I called her back and when she answered I smiled. "Mads! I did it! I made the team!"

"Austin." She said. It sounded like she was crying, hard. "Austin, I tried calling you." She started crying harder.

I frowned. "Mads? What's going on? Are you okay?"

"Austin, you need to come to the hospital. It's your mom." She said, her voice cracking.

I hung up the phone and threw my car in drive, speeding to the hospital. When I got there I ran inside, almost knocking down a nurse.

"Excuse me. I'm looking for my mother." I said. I gave her the name and she pointed me in the direction of where she was. I ran through the halls like a mad man until I saw Madison sitting on a bench. Her knees were pulled up to her chest and she stared blankly ahead of her. Her eyes were red and swollen.

"Madison." I said.

She looked at me and jumped up, running to me and throwing her arms around me. "Austin, I'm so sorry."

I didn't move. "What's going on?"

"She just collapsed." Madison said, crying. "We were walking down Second Street, almost at Sebring and she grabbed her chest and collapsed."

I felt tears burning my eyes. "Madison, what happened?"

She looked away from me and held my hands. Her eyes filled with tears. "Austin, she passed away, I'm so sorry."

My body went numb and I choked on a sob. "She's gone?"

Madison threw her arms around me and sobbed into my chest. "Yes."

I got dizzy and grabbed on to Madison. "Where's my dad?"

She wiped my tears. "He's in the room with her."

I nodded and took a deep breath. "I need to see her."

Madison nodded. "Okay. Come here." She sniffled and wiped her eyes, taking my hand and leading me into the room.

---

*Madison's POV*

Austin and Mr Carlile sat in the room with Mrs Carlile, talking the doctor about what happened. I sat in the hallway, alone and crying. I couldn't believe she was gone. One second she was talking me into buying a dress and the next second she was on the ground.

I heard someone coming down the hall and looked up. Mark, Alan, and Scotty came down the hall. I stood up.

Alan ran to me and grabbed me, hugging me. "Are you okay?"

I buried my face in his chest. "I don't know."

He rubbed my back. "Where's Austin?"

"In the room." I said.

Mark and Scotty came up and hugged me too.

"What happened? I just talked to her this morning." Scotty said.

I pulled away from everyone. "The doctor said it was her heart. They'll learn more when they do an autopsy." I said, my voice cracking.

"How is he?" Mark asked.

I shrugged. "I don't know."

Alan patted my back. "I'm gonna go in there." He walked away.

Scotty followed him and Mark led me to sit on the bench. "I don't want you to be alone."

I pulled away from him and pulled my knees up to my chest, hiding my face. "I can't believe this."

He rubbed my back. "I know. It's gonna be okay though." He sighed. "And if you need to get out of here, you can come stay with me."

I looked at him. "Thanks."

"Mads, I'm sorry about the day at the baseball field. I shouldn't have just assumed you were that kind of girl."

I sighed. "Mark this really isn't the time. I forgive you, but I don't wanna talk about it."

Mrs Carlile's door opened and Austin came out. His eyes were puffy and red. His face was white and stained with tears. Something in his eyes changed.

I got up and went over to him. When I tried to hug him he pushed me away and kept walking. "Dad's driving you home."

I grabbed his hand and he pulled away. "Austin?"

He ignored me and kept walking.

Mr Carlile came out, looking pretty much the same as Austin. I went over to him and hugged him. "Are you okay?"

He nodded and hugged me. "I will be. Let's get home."

I slid my arm around his waist and we walked out, the boys following us.