Chapter 22: "That's what you get for laughing at me."

Tony's POV

It had been a few hours since Loki left with his variant. Tony went to check on the kids and Pepper. He found them in the royal family's dining hall with the Queen Mother. He approaches Pepper and kisses her cheek. She is watching the children put together a large puzzle while sitting at the dining room table.

"How are they holding up?" He whispers to her.

"As good as can be expected."

"Do they know that he's gone?"

"We didn't tell them, but they know something is going on. It's like they can feel it. Lexi keeps giving me these sad looks."

"They do have magical parents."

"Tony, any news from Loki or Charlotte?"

"Nothing, not a peep, from the Bad guy either."

"Tony, what if... what if they don't come back?"

"Then we will try our best to protect them."

"He is correct Lady Pepper. I will not let anyone or anything hurt these children, and neither will the rest of Asgard." Frigga steps up to them. "But I am confident my son and his soulmate will come back to us. I have no doubt about it." She smiles warmly.

"Yeah, let's just hope Loki comes back soon. I'm starting to think we don't have much time left." Tony says concerned, and as if on cue, Thor walks into the room.

"Mother, Anthony, Lady Pepper. We have news. Heimdall can see him."

"And when you say him, you mean?"

"Thanos. Heimdall can see his ship. It will be here by nightfall."

"Great."

"The bad man is coming?" Lexi asks because no one noticed that the children were now listening to their conversation.

"Yes, my dear. But have nothing to worry about." Frigga pushes Thor back towards the doors.

"Not in front of the children, please. They have enough to worry about. Now, Thor, you have warned your Father?"

"Sorry mother and yes Father and the Einherjar have already secured Asgard, and he is currently preparing to put up the shield."

"Geez, you guys don't mess around?" Tony scoffs

"Not when it comes to protecting this realm and my family." Thor replies proudly. "Anthony, we need to talk more privately."

"Yeah, ok, sure." Tony replies and they leave the room. Once Thor closes the door behind them, he turns to Tony.

"My friend, I'm going to ask you something that might be hard for you to answer."

"Whatever it is. My answer is yes."

"Tony." Thor says sternly.

"No, Thor. If this has anything to do with bringing Charlotte home. I'm in, and I'm sure so are the Avengers."

"I know. Lady Natasha already told me so. Her, the Captain and the doctor have been putting together a plan. But they need an element of surprise."

"And that would be me." Tony says as a matter of fact and less as a question.

"Yes, Tony, they know you escaped, but they don't know where you went."

"So, what do you need me to do?"

"Just be you Tony. You know, genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist." Natasha says as she walks towards them. "We are all in the war room waiting for you two."