Chapter Nine: Sweet Cheeks

(First time writing using my new computer :))

"Sometimes, he would be out all night," Nick admitted, "And... I can't sleep well when someone isn't next to me, which is why Vincent is here." Nick glanced over to a very grumpy Vincent, who definitely had his walls up. His arms were crossed protectively. "Xavier knows this, but he still didn't show up for days."

"I see," Elian was scribbling things down on his notepad periodically. Nick had just finished giving Elian a more detailed overview. He didn't mention anything about Xavier hitting him because he knew that both Vincent and Elian wouldn't take the news well. Vincent technically already knew what happened the day Nick came to his house, but Nick didn't want to remind Vincent of it while he was clearly on guard. 

"And why did you marry him in the first place?" Elian asked. "I mean, no one knew you before Xavier married you. I assume you didn't come from a rich family. So, how did you guys meet? Did he seem suspicious when you first got together?" Nick had never seen Elian's eyes look so calculated. It was obvious he was paying rapt attention to what Nick's answers would be.

"Well," Nick started, "Our entire relationship was based on a deal." Nicks hands felt sweaty, as they always did when the topic of how he and Xavier met came up. It was a moment in his life that he truly regretted at this point. "He seemed nice enough then," Nick continued, " but we were strangers to each other. The only reason he chose me, now that I think about it, is probably because I was poor and in need of someone to come along and save me. He wanted to marry me because his mother was going to marry him to someone he didn't know or want. At least, that's what he said. His offer was to make to let me live in a life of luxury. Although, after we sealed the deal, we both fell- I mean, I assumed we both fell in love. Now that I look back on it, it doesn't seem to be that way. I don't know if he ever loved me."

The scratch of a pen furiously scoring the notebook filled Nick's ears. Elian looked tense as he wrote down all his notes. 

"So, you loved him?" Elian asked almost to make sure, "As in, really loved him?"

"I know it sounds idiotic, but yes," Nick's cheeks started to get red. He felt like a fool. He felt even more so explaining it to Elian and Vincent. "I mean, he gave me no reason not to, until recently. He was... my hero." Nick then slammed his mouth shut. He needed to stop speaking before he embarrassed himself further.

"Do you still love him?" Elian questioned, almost sounding confused. As if, he couldn't process Nick loving Xavier.

"I-" Nick stopped himself, "That feels like irrelevant information."

"Fair enough," Elian nodded, scribbling something down. He then set the pen on the table. "You know, I have to say, I think I know the red-head that Xavier cheated on you with." Nick's eyes widened, even Vincent leaned forward, placing his arms on his knees.

"You do?" Nick questioned, and his hands squeezed his jeans. 

"Yeah," Elian nodded, "He uh- well don't judge me, okay? There's a club nearby our houses, a- uh- gay stripper club for the high-end wealth. One of my friends begged me to take them there once, for like a birthday present I think it was. Red-head has worked there- as a bartender- for years. I am not very amazing at large crowds, so I talked to him a lot while sitting alone at the bar. We may have...done things too." Cue Nick getting slightly grossed out. "Anyway, my point is, a lot of rich gay guys go there, and the red-head? He snags a lot of them. I slept with him once, but he just wasn't my style. He was almost too seductive, and he was kind of mean about it- He freaked me out. I never went there again. Long story short, he is bad news. He probably didn't care whether or not Xavier had a husband."