Chapter Five: A Visit

"Okay, but you're totally going to ace this test," Dakota cooed at his boyfriend, his hand resting on Lucas's thigh. "You are way smarter than me in all subjects," he stressed.

Lucas, who seemed obviously nervous, replied, "Yeah, well, I've heard that it's really hard."

"Maybe it is a little difficult, but if anyone can do it, it's you," Dakota complimented.

"You're going to do great," Nick added, with a smile. His compliment seemed to lift Lucas's mood up a little more.

"If you make it, we should have a celebration afterward," Dakota said, "I'll get you a gift, and we can go out on a romantic date. How does that sound?"

Lucas hmm-Ed like he was barely paying attention. Dakota then leaned over to whisper in Lucas's ear, and the boy started smiling quite mischievously.

"You're giving me great motivation," Lucas smiled.

"I'm glad," Dakota smiled back as they stared into each others eyes.

Was it bad that Nick was almost jealous of his own son's love life?

After the two lovebirds left and most of the little ones had gone to school (including Avil), Nick was left with the two-year-olds and his own thoughts. Jason and Jordan usually entertained each other. So, even though the house had two two-year-olds, Nick still felt pretty alone. He only felt like he mattered when Jordan came to tattle on Jason or when either of them was hungry.

He cleaned the house. It was his day off, but there was still work to do. He cleaned until his back hurt from bending over. His exhaustion was starting to take over. He had to take a few moments to lay on the couch because he could feel his bones dragging like weights.

He must have fallen asleep for a minute, because the next second he was waking up to the sound of a knock on the door. He thought maybe it was Devin, Sam, and Nichole. He yearned for a visit from them. He wanted to spoil his grandchild.

A grandfather at thirty. It made Nick feel old.

However, Nick was sorely wrong when he opened the door to Xavier's scowling face. It took his breath away momentarily. He thought he would never see Xavier again.

"Nick," Xavier said shortly, "Can I come in? We need to talk." 

Nick didn't feel like talking; in fact, he felt sick. His stomach was crawling, his body tense, and his heart was beating- as if Xavier was a giant, angry grizzly bear looming over him.

"Go away," Nick said shortly, making a move to shut the door. Xavier blocked it with his hand, and Nick noticed that his foot moved in the doorframe. Nick couldn't shut it all of the way without cutting Xavier's foot in half. "What do you want?" he growled. The last thing he wanted to have was a visit from Xavier. Nick was trying to move on- get better, get happier.

"I want to talk to you about the kids," Xavier said sternly, as if his word was final. It made the hairs on the back of Nick's neck stand up. He tried to step further in the door, but Nick pushed back on the door and growled.

"Since when do you ever care about the kids?" Nick sneered. Although he was partially frightened, he was also protective. He was especially protective of his kids. He took a quick glance behind himself in panic, hoping that the toddlers weren't witnessing the interaction between him and Xavier, and he felt somewhat relieved when he realized they were still in their room. They were probably using the bunk beds as monkey bars- something that made Nick very anxious. But at least they were not in the living room.

"Nick, stop being such a child," Xavier said sternly, trying to push the door open wider. Nick held it in place. He had always been stronger than Xavier. "Talk to me like an adult and open the door."