chapter five : evergreen

cw: implied child fiddler, underage drinking and smoking, stealing, talking about murder

                                                **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚   ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

"EREN! DID YOU BEAT IT!"

as kuchel stood on the wall, swords drawn and adrenaline pumping through her veins with nothing to take it out on, she felt a bit useless.

"NO! IT'S JUST LIKE FIVE YEARS AGO! HE SUDDENLY APPEARED, AND THEN SUDDENLY DISAPPEARED!"

kuchel, thomas and connie turned their heads to the sound of whirring wires and saw eren landing on the wall, looking at them with a face full of remorse.

"i'm sorry. i let him get away,"

"what are you apologising for? we were scared stiff-"

"HEY! THERE'S NO TIME FOR THAT!"

the three turned to connie, distressed and sweat dripping.

"the wall's been broken! we have to hurry and seal it before the titans get in!"

footsteps and wires from behind the four made them turn around.

"what are you doing!?"

it was someone from the garrison regiment, and he appeared to be having quite a bad day by the look on his face.

"the colossal titan response operation is already underway! return to HQ at once!"

the three to the side of kuchel quickly saluted at the sight of a superior, but the girl just stood there, brows furrowed.

"anyone who's come into contact with it, remember to give a report!"

"yes sir!"

"we pray for the advance teams success!"

advance team? why on earth would they put the garrison regiment on the advance team? they have no experience with titans up close!

the man flew off, and the bell in trost started ringing.

                                                **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚   ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

back in HQ, it was manic.

"you cadets have successfully graduated! you are now proper soldiers! i have high hopes for you in this operation!"

"dont worry, hanna,"

kuchel turned from her place on the ground where she was fiddling with her gas canister.

she looked up to see franz taking her dorm mate of three years by the shoulders, trying to calm her nerves.

"I promise ill keep you safe,"

he guided her into a hug, caging her in.

kuchel grimaced.

fucking idiot

mikasa ran past, pausing at the couple before kuchel got her attention.

"mikasa!"

she turned to her, surveying her position on the ground and seeing the girl practically wrestling with a gas canister.

"can you get me 'nother one? this ones fucked!"

she saw her nod quietly before running off.

kuchel turned back to her gear, ripping the gas canister off and throwing it away.