chapter twenty : time-adventure

cw: underage smoking, kissing ig, implication of sexy time (idk its kinda up to interpretation there), grief, suicide and lots of talk about it

                                                **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚   ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

in the quiet corners of their home, a somber atmosphere lingered, heavy with the weight of loss.

kuchel could sense her father's sorrow as he sat in the armchair, his face etched with grief.

with a tender heart far beyond her years, kuchel approached her father, her small hand reaching out to touch his knee.

"daddy," she said softly, her voice a gentle melody in the hushed room.

he looked down at her, his eyes tired and weary.

"hey, sweetie," he replied, trying to muster a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes.

kuchel had always been a perceptive child, even at her tender age - in ways that usually left levi marveling. she observed the changes in her father, the way his laughter became rare and his eyes carried a hint of sadness. and though levi tried to shield kuchel from the harsh reality of their grief, children have a way of sensing emotions that adults often underestimate.

in the heart of her, a vibrant six-year-old girl, memories of two beloved souls, isabel and farlan, glowed like the softest embers in the darkest night. though they had passed on from this world, their presence lingered in the corners of her mind, carried on the wings of time like delicate whispers.

isabel, with her warm smile and twinkling eyes, was like a second mother to kuchel. she had a way of making every rainy day seem like a chance for a rainbow to appear. together, they would bake cookies that were more floury mess than perfection, but the laughter that filled the kitchen was sweeter than any confection. isabel had taught kuchel that mistakes were just opportunities to learn and create something even better. kuchel would often remember the way isabel's fingers would gently guide hers, shaping the dough and shaping her young heart with patience and kindness.

and then there was farlan, a towering figure of strength and gentleness. his deep, rumbling laughter was a balm to kuchel's fears and insecurities. they would spend afternoons in the garden, tending to the flowers that seemed to bloom brighter in his presence. farlan taught kuchel to stand tall and brave, just like the sunflowers they planted together. his stories of far-off lands and daring adventures ignited a spark of curiosity within kuchel's imagination, a flame that still burned brightly.

as the weight of nostalgia threatened to overwhelm her, kuchel's thoughts raced back to memories long past. but she quickly snapped herself out of it, refusing to let the flood of emotions consume her. with a determined shake of her head, she dispelled the tendrils of reminiscence that had momentarily entwined her thoughts.

and then, with a surge of determination, she propelled herself onto her father's lap, seeking the comfort and security that his presence always provided.

she felt her fathers arms slowly winding up to return the hold.

the familiar grip was there, a reassuring hold that had always conveyed his protective love, but this time, there was an added intensity. it was as if he feared letting her go, as if he was trying to communicate his concern that his daughter might slip away from him.

"im sorry," her voice began, almost a whisper compared to her usual tone, carrying a weight of emotions, "im sorry that we can't go back,"

as her words hung in the air, pregnant with the unspoken nostalgia and longing they both felt, she sensed her father inhale, a prelude to a response that never came. instead, she mustered the strength within her and gently pushed back, her gaze locking onto his with a resolute determination.