chapter seventeen : what-are-we-gonna-do-now

cw : gore (average attack on titan episode yk)

                                            **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚   ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

clementine was an adjustment.

they took her back to the house, providing the tale that they just found her there and not allison.

they didn't dare tell juniper - who was only starting to gain her spirit again - the truth.

although, kuchel felt as though she didn't have to.

there were stares, silent ones that felt heavy in the air.

kuchel had no idea if saving the information was doing good for juniper or not. she didn't know how deep their relationship was and how the news would actually affect her.

because, these days, what daughter has a truly normal relationship with their mother?

it's all built on betrayal and jealously and pity. the want to scream at your mother for not telling you how rough the world is, the realisation that she can only truly live though you, and the collective pity you and your father feel for her when she doesn't understand something.

kuchel didn't have a mother - but after seeing all of her fiends mothers - allison, gayle, hallie, susan and beluah - she wasn't sure if she could feel all that bad for herself anymore.

after seeing how juniper acted with the two year old - a softness that would persevere no matter what, a quiet, calm voice, gentle and caring hands guiding her - kuchel had a need to visit her own mother.

she ignored it, though - as she had no idea where she would be (or if she was even still alive).

she had her guesses, but she kept them to herself.

it was hard for the group to not fall in love with clementine. she had the same crinkle near her eyes when she smiled that juniper had, the same loud laugh that they had learnt to love on juniper.

within the next year - the household would gain one more with dixie's child on the way (still a well kept secret between kuchel and her).

the girl just hoped nothing bad would happen in the meantime.

                                            **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚   ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

her fathers shoulder felt bonier than kuchel remembered.

she sat up, turning to face her father next to her, "'ave you been eatin'?"

all she got was an eye roll, and kuchel felt herself scoff at the childish action.

she looked around from her seat on the cart - noticing jean over by the equipment.

normally, she wouldn't hesitate to go over and converse with him, but considering the information she just learnt, she felt as though she'd have a hard time staying quiet about it.

"hey, levi! where you hiding the titans at?"

kuchel felt herself chuckle at the shout from another scout as her father turned to respond.

"oh? you all seem so disappointed. sorry...a shame you couldn't fight titans today - if you're looking for another chance, theres plenty of expeditions outside the walls. how about we join forces and face some titans together?"