chapter fifteen : hotel

cw : vomiting (its not descriptive), underage pregnancy, suicide, implication of mental illness (?)

                                                      SEASON TWO

                                            **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚   ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

the sound of retching had become a familiar alarm clock to kuchel.

she heaved herself up off of the bed, juniper's arm falling from her waist as she curled around herself, still in a deep sleep.

kuchel made her way out of the small room that housed five sleeping kids, stepping over therese's limbs that were stretched out across the mattress on the floor, foot sticking into jesse's side as he wrapped himself around eli in his sleep, content.

she quietly opened the door and shut it behind her before making her way down the narrow hallway and to the bathroom.

she rounded the corner and saw a similar sight to what she saw yesterday morning, and last wednesday, and the friday and saturday two weeks before that.

dixie was heaving over the toilet, long, red hair cascading down her shirtless back, still matted from sleep, skin shining with sweat as she retched over the bowl.

kuchel leaned against the doorway and waited for the seventeen year-old to notice her.

eventually, dixie throws her head back from the bowl and sighs loudly, audibly gulping before stumbling up and turning to leave the bathroom, almost walking into the body blocking the door.

"chel?"

her voice was disoriented as she spoke, slurring her words.

"wha' are you doin' up? go back to bed, hun,"

dixie attempted to walk past kuchel, but she stumbled into the doorway, legs giving out under her.

kuchel immediately latched onto the freckled forearm and levied her up against herself, accustomed to the routine.

with the ten year-olds help, dixie made her way back to her bedroom.

thankfully, as kuchel pushed the door open, blake was still asleep on the mattress on the floor, soft snores filling the room.

the pair chuckled at the scene quietly before kuchel made her way over to dixie's bed, the red-heads arm still hanging around her shoulder as she helped her sit down.

the girl sat down next to her on the bed, waiting for dixie to speak.

"fuck,"

that one word held so much information that kuchel blanched at it.

"...do you know who it was?"

dixie scoffed at the question, leaning back to rest her head and to look at the ceiling, bittersweet smile dancing on her face.

"nope - no idea. people come in, you try not to look at their faces as much as you can, get the job done, pocket the money an' show them the way out - repeat,"

the girls voice sounded helpless, like she had become content with what everything meant.

"you gonna keep it?"

the inquiry made dixie raise her brows at the girl from her slouch against the headboard, "you know any good hospitals down 'here?"

the question was obviously rhetorical, but kuchel provided her with an answer anyway.