Chapter 11

Someone once said 'There is a legend about a bird that sings only once about life, more beautiful than any living thing on Earth. As soon as she leaves her nest, she looks for a thorn tree and does not rest until she finds it. They crawl among its wild and intertwined branches and, singing, impale their body with the longest and sharpest thorn. As she dies, her pain grows into a song that surpasses the song of a nightingale or lark in beauty. The price of that beautiful song is life, but the whole world stops to listen as God in heaven smiles. Because the best that exists in life can only be obtained at the price of great pain... at least that's what the legend says.'

And he absolutely agreed with that.
______

Everything happened very quickly.

The resuscitation machines were in the hands of the medical staff. The voices and shouts of the doctors ravaged the intensive care, while the almost lifeless body of the young man lay without any hope of life.

Two days later, the machines rang, indicating that the young man's heart had survived, this time.

Beep beep beep

The machines were singing their song as Jungkook opened his eyes.

Whiteness was all around him, and everything seemed like he was on the threshold of heaven. However, that would not make any sense. Jungkook himself knew that what he had done was certainly not worth getting a ticket to the destination.

Taking a few more seconds for himself, he realized that the whiteness of the environment was actually a hospital.

- Tae.. - he mumbled indistinctly, so there was no response.

- Tae... water... - he repeated.

- Mr. Jeon, you are awake! - exclaimed a nurse who was in charge of him. Her shrill voice was too loud for Jungkook's withered and bruised body and for his sensitive hearing.

- Here, drink some water, and I will call the doctor to examine you. - she finished her sentence and she was ready to go, but Jungkook stopped her. Due to the lack of voice, he gripped her wrist with all the strength he had left. The girl looked at him confused when he said his name again.

- Tae... call... Taehyung.

- Ohh yes... but visits are prohibited for now, but I'm sure that when the doctor examines you, he will approve visits. Just be patient. - she took her hand to herself and left the white room.

A tear somehow found its way and slid down Jungkook's pale cheek, and he could only think of one thing. Of one man.

About him.

He wondered how much resentment and disappointment was whipping his Taehyung right now.

He wondered why everything had to turn out like this.

Why is he such a coward?

The little time left to think about the elder and not about the deprived morphine, which he desperately needed, Jungkook divided into thousands and thousands of moments full of strained expectation and bitter anxiety.

Yet he was still filled with some strange sweet hope that everything would end as it was supposed to and that his happiness would be increased by two words spoken by Taehyung at the last hour.

He shuddered at the thought of Taehyung's perfect hands and his bony fingers caressing his face.

His vision blurred at the thought of Taehyung's black eyes watching him sympathetically.