XVIII - "Flashback"

I woke up drenched in sweat with a damp towel on my forehead. My eyes wide and tear filled I looked into Tighnari's turquoise worried eyes. "It's okay, it was just a dream." He whispered as he dabbed the sweat off my face.

"But it was so real..." My heart was still racing and I closed my eyes as I ran my fingers along my body until finally stopping in my face. "Do you want to tell me about it?" the fox boy asked as he sat down on the edge of my bed.

I looked him up and down with a critical gaze and sighed. "I saw him. He said I never loved him..." I spoke softly, but the young man understood every word and listened to me attentively and in silence. "The next moment there was... but I saw him dying before my eyes..." My breath hitched and I was barely abled to continue.

His head tilted slightly and his ears twitched. "He was chasing me and I saw the man who could have saved me. When I got there I saw that this immortal being was killed by my boyfriend. At that moment the other one caught up with me, then I woke up." A tear rolled down my face "Oh Tighnari I think he was right..." I was the one who treated him wrong, he tried to be good for me and protect but what have I done... I drove him crazy so he ended up going on a killing spree.

Tighnari sighed thoughtfully and stared at the floor. His tail wagged back and forth slightly. "I don't exactly know what you were talking about but... You know, every dream has a meaning. Judging your telling... sometimes you only realise what you loved after you lost it." He then stood up and smiled. "Collei will accompany you for a while, get ready. On that chair are some clothes for you."

"Thank you for all." He nodded and then exited the tent. I uncovered myself and rolled up my dress to look at my wound and to my surprise it was pretty much healed. I gently stroked the stitches and hardly felt any pain. "Fascinating..."

I got up and changed into the sumeru stylish clothes, the colours kept in a green-turquoise tone with white and gold accents. I tied my hair and added the sumeru rose to it that was lying on top of the clothes. Like that I wouldn't draw any attention on me. When I exited the tent the young girl with the green hair was waiting for me already. "Good morning Y/N, you are a little pale, are you alright?" She asked worriedly but I shook it off with a smile. "I haven't seen the sun too often but it's sweet of you that you care."

She gave me a slight smile in return and then led me on a path through the jungle. "This is the path will bring you to Sumeru City, don't leave it, it can be dangerous."

"Thank you Collei, maybe we'll meet again." I bowed down with a smile and turned away to leave but the young girl screamed after me.

"You're carrying an insignia!" I stopped and slowly turned, has she looked through my bag? "Have you snatched it or are you one of them..." She couldn't even look at me, instead her gaze fell to the ground as she held her upper arm, seeming to regret it by now.

"I've seen that wound on your arm." She mumbled loud enough for me to hear. There was no point in lying to her so I told her the truth. "I'm neither one of them but nie you can say I'm not, I was more or less born into the royal family. I fled from the palace after several experiments on my body but years later I lived with those people again. I should have never returned there for the archons sake."

With wide eyes she looked up at me saying nothing. Her face was telling me everything, what had happened to her there, what the doctor did to her. I knew it without even knowing, this horrified face was too familiar with me, it drove me mad to know.

"If you ever need someone to talk, I'm here, if you want to talk to her instead..." Her face brightened up a little. "I'll have you escorted to mondstadt, one letter will be enough and I'll be there." Amber had told me about a little girl they used to know, it was no doubt that it was her.