Chapter 40: What the Flowers Told Me

"I am late, aren't I?"

As soon as I turned, I saw him entering through the oak door with a bouquet of magnolias in one hand.

His dark brown hair was reflected under the magic stones. It was a dull hair color, but it was a color that went well with the man's aristocratic face and green eyes.

"Uncle Leander," I greeted with a smile, trying to mask the disappointment in my heart.

"Ah, my favorite niece." He started walking toward me. "Seeing that you're already here, it seems like I'm really late."

Just like me, every year Uncle Leander also visited my mother's grave on her birthday, but it was unusual for us to cross paths since he usually came in the early morning and immediately went back to the capital after he finished.

Duke Leander Elloid was a busy man. There were a lot of unkind things that people could say about him, but he definitely didn't shy away from hard work.

Though he never let it show that he was tired or didn't get enough sleep—having the caretaking of an entire territory and countless businesses as well as the responsibility as the head of the council in his hands weren't exactly an easy job. I guess that was what we both had in common—us Elloid were truly a prideful and stubborn sort.

This is why people say that I am more an Elloid than I ever am a Berenice, even though my last name is Berenice.

But anyway, my uncle never liked leaving his duties for too long, especially now that he became busier after he was appointed as Constantine's supervisor as well as the noble's representative for my development project. So yes, despite his eccentric and overbearing personality, he was not the type to take his job lightly.

Yet such a man always set aside his time to visit his sister's grave several times a year. If it didn't speak volumes of how much he cherished his older sister, I didn't know what did.

"At least you get to see me so that you wouldn't forget your one and only niece's face with how busy you have been as of late, Uncle," I finally replied.

"As if you even have to try. How could I forget such a smooth-talker?" He looked at me in amusement before bursting into laughter. "Your skills seem to be improving a lot, my dear niece."

My uncle stopped in front of me and smiled. Everything about him was ornate and extravagant. He was dressed in an exquisite formal suit, decorated with pure gold threads and gemstones and the finest fabrics that served no purpose except to remind people of his status and wealth.

Though a bit tacky, I had to admit, it was fitting for him.

"I only learned from the best, Uncle." I gave him an innocent smile.

He clicked his tongue. "What a cheeky little girl."

We giggled together.

His eyes softened and turned his head toward my mother's portrait in the center of the room, right above her grave. For once, I didn't see the usual arrogant mask I thought was permanently sewn to his face. It was a very new and strange feeling, to see this expression on him.

"You look more and more like your mother as you grow up," he murmured. "Sometimes when I look at you, I feel like I'm looking at my sister again, as if she's still alive and well. You do resemble her a lot."

"Do you miss her?" I let out a breath, trying to relieve the pressure that suddenly appeared in my chest.

I didn't know whether it was the atmosphere of the place or my mother's effect that was manifesting through her portrait, but people often dropped their guard in her presence. And as bizarre as it was to have this kind of conservation with my infamously annoying uncle, it strangely felt so natural, too.