ONE

February afternoons were made to be like this. The sky, mid-afternoon, is a beautiful canvas graced with sky blues and pure milky whites and golden balls, shining down to earth. The blue in the depths beyond and the smooth, rounded, sugary sweet clouds in the foreground. Stained white wooden porches, green plastic lawn and park chairs and a yellow butterfly dancing above the steamy urban pavement with an invisible partner to a made-up song. A little girl appears, jumping and laughing to touch it.

  Gemma sat on one of the benches in the park, she appeared to love and smile at the girl, who danced, trying to catch the butterfly, a smile adorned her lips when their eyes met, her blue eyes locking with Gemma's, and she giggled and continued, shifting her gaze to the butterfly that made a run for it.

  "I would be back soon" she heard Juan's soft voice say he didn't sound so happy, and she could guess why. She looked away from the young girl, who played with the butterfly, to her man, the person she loved most in the world, Juan Walker. Her smile faded into a hidden frown knowing what he meant by that.

He moved closer to her, placing his phone in his back pocket. Juan didn't look so happy as well, as he approached her. His face is covered in sadness, but his eyes glint with warmness towards her.

  "Is something wrong?" she forced a smile as he approached her, his gaze neither shifted nor faltered.

There was always something wrong when she decided to spend time with him, the park date was a perfect idea, she had been craving and she had been planning this for the longest, for two years, and finally, she got him out, but time seemed to be against them.

  Juan grasped her wrist, and a whisper escaped his lips, "We have to go," he pulls her by her wrist, walking to a red SUV parked outside the park.

  "Juan," her gentle voice called, his grip was tight and he didn't even notice.

  "What? I told you I wouldn't stay long" his voice became rough, and her eyes lowered to the floor, as he faced her and he lets go of her as opened the car door for her. Gemma slowly got in without a word and sat patiently waiting for him to get in, her gaze gliding on the little girl, she looked really confused, watching them both, maybe she was taught about love differently. When their eyes met again a little smile graced the corner of her lips, and she raised her hand, Gemma's heart calmed at the finger heart, she showed her and this made her smile again, her eyes streaked while the little girl's eyes held hers. Juan started the engine, Gemma's smile widened when she waved at her, she then returned hers.

  "Who are you waving at?" Juan asked as he drove off the park, Gemma kept smiling at the little girl, till she was out of her sight, she turned to Juan ready to reply to him.

  "Someone," she adjusted, locking her seatbelt, smiling widely at him.

  "Hmm, the someone doesn't have a name?" he darts at her, with a think smirk at the end of his lips.

Gemma's shoulders raised as she looked out of the window. Seeing the little girl and how she managed to calm her heart Gemma turned to Juan again, he seemed focused on the road. Her heart suddenly palpitated with fear with the question she was about to ask, either way, she forced it out of her mouth.

  "Do you want to have kids?" she swallowed, and just like she thought, Juan wouldn't take it well, hearing this question. Juan choked instantly hitting the brake. Gemma took her head backwards, resting on the leather, feeling guilty and her heart pounding with fear. She waited for his reply while listening to his raging breath, she wouldn't have asked that, what was she thinking, she pinched her hand. She was like a mistress to him, if he did it would be with his girlfriend, and he would never leave to be with her.