FIFTEEN

"Why?" Her eyes were filled with tears. Gemma didn't think he would proceed with the marriage she was already late, she looked at his hand and spotted a good ring, she quickly looked away sucking the tears making sure she wasn't going to cause a scene.

  "I'm sorry..." he says, lowering his eyes, he could barely stare at her.

  "You promised..." Gemma's eyes found Alice where she sat staring at them. She cleared her throat looking away trying her best not to look suspicious, she had no idea why she had to pretend anyway, they were already married.

  Some ladies walked over to her, pulling her from the chair she sat, her stomach was visible to Gemma. Juan's eyes followed hers, finding Alice walking away.

  "Gemma, let me explain," he says, grabbing her hands.

  "I can't believe you" Gemma pushed his hands away from hers, stepping backwards

  "Please just let me explain, okay?"

  "What? you finally decided you want kids?"

  "What's wrong with you?"

  "Isn't she pregnant Juan?"

  "Gosh, Gemma please listen to me"

  "Why? what do you want to say? I have silently and patiently waited for you all these years to come to me... I wanted that baby but what did you say?" She softly says

  "I still want to be with you, I never said I don't want to Gemma, we could still be together huh?"

  "Juan" she cried, sniffling.

  "I want to be with you and you know that... getting married doesn't stop us from being together" Gemma raised her gaze to him, his words were unbelievable, he told her he loved her but his action said a different thing.

  "Then why won't you break up with her?" She says, a word she had never told him for years they had been together and something Juan had never wanted to hear either. Juan slowly took his hands off her, moving away. Gemma quickly gripped his hands pulling him back to her.

  "I'm sorry, Gemma" He muttered, she shook her head knowing the next thing he was going to say.

  "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that" she held him tighter "I don't know..." she paused.

  "If you're going to be like this, we can't be together," he says, Gemma wiped her eyes blinking severally.

  "I'm sorry Juan... I am sorry I shouldn't have said that I was only mad huh? I'm sorry"

"You're changing, Gemma why are you here to convince me?"

  "No!" she gulped knowing she had no excuse.

  "So what? to congratulate me?" Gemma stared at him lost for words, she knew how much he hated that word, but she said it out of her anger.

  "I only said that out of anger, ain't I allowed to react?" she asked, cleaning her face with her hand and ruining her makeup.

  "Gemma, let's..." she interrupted before he could say anything.

  "Juan please! don't do this to me... you know how much I love you" she lowered her voice, preventing the woman from passing to hear what she was telling him.

  "Let's not see each other again," He says, instantly she let go of his hands, now his words were in sync with his actions, his eyes told her how much he didn't want to see her again. "it's for the best"

  "Best?" she chuckled softly staring at her feet.

  "Yes, it's for the best for me and you... Gemma, you should find a life without me" he says.

"Without you?... for the past three years..." she swallowed her words, biting her lower lips.

"Don't blame me for this?" he says. Finally, his charm was getting off her and her eyes were getting clearer.

Gemma stared at him speechlessly, as much as she tried to speak no words came out... nothing at all, she was lost and confused. Her heart was suddenly filled with hatred for him.

  "Honey, is everything okay?" Gemma heard Alice's voice from behind her, she wiped her tears and slowly walked away towards the exit.

   "No, everything is fine" she heard Juan's voice, she turned around to look at him but he didn't even glance at her, how cold could he be? everything she had done for years, was all coming to her as regrets.

  She could as well show him how wicked she was by letting Alice know about their affair for the past three years, he had been with her but she couldn't bring herself to even speak.

  Gemma stood at the exit door, she could see Isaac busy with his phone in the car, she wiped her eyes and took a deep breath about to leave when she heard her name.

  "Gemma" the voice called. She quickly turned around to know who it was... the last person she was expecting to see, Alice— Juan's newly wedded wife.

   She watched her step closer, she could as well avoid her but she couldn't move and stood until she was two feet away from her.

  "Gemma Smith right?" she asked. Gemma looked at her confused had Juan been talking about her? how on earth did she know her name.

Gemma said nothing, as she was speechless.

  "I know you," Alice says, you were at his birthday party last year and sneaked out with him, then you guys stared out all night" She continued. Gemma was stunned she didn't even know anything about Alice except her name Alice, nothing else, not even her surname, that was much she had respected Juan and his privacy.

"Why are you here?" Gemma asked, looking away.

  "I should be asking you that," Alice says, shaking her head. In shame Gemma looked away, she had nothing on Alice. Walking away was the best she told herself.

  "Well, we are no more..."

  "Yes, I gave him an option and he chose me," she says,

  "What?"

  "Did you really think he would choose you?" Gemma laughed, she knew Juan wasn't going to listen to her. He didn't look like he was going to.

  "That's good for you..." she says, finally walking away.

  "Gemma?" she called, Gemma turned around and a slap pressed her cheek.

  Gemma gasped, looking at her suddenly she narrowed her eyes and found Juan staring at a corner while she watched them both. Everyone around them was staring and she thought for a second to return the slap but people would see her as a bad person

  "This is for riding my man for the past three years," Anita says, giving her another on the same cheek. Alice had known all these while? she guessed, Juan also knew she knew about them.

  Gemma took her eyes off Juan and quickly she stumbled out of the hotel.

  Juan wasn't the man she knew, she hated herself for trusting him.

  She paused and looked at the car, Isaac looked like he was receiving a call, so she turned the other way running away from that environment. She didn't want to exist in this world again, she didn't want to be seen by anyone, Shame engulfed her unwillingness and she couldn't even stand to see herself.