Chapter 12

A gentle touch on my face woke me up. "Oh baby, wake up. You've slept a lot, and it's time to rise and shine. Wake up, wake up, sweetheart." The voice sounded familiar to me. I think I know the person very well.

I was trying hard, but my head and lungs hurt a lot. I opened my left eye slightly and then my right, trying to focus on where exactly I am. I'm pretty sure I'm not in the restroom. The lights of the room were penetrating in my eyes trying to stop me from looking at anything in general.

I remember something that girl told me, "Be prepared to face him." Who is he, and what was she talking about? Well, I didn't realize that I blurted out quite loudly for the familiar stranger to hear me.

"Oh baby, I never knew that after so many years you still think about me all the time. Even after such a big accident when you first tried to recollect your thoughts you thought about me," said the person who was searching for something in the room.

"Who are you?" I asked but felt a lump in my throat. He was standing at the far end of the room. He came forward, and the light was behind him, so I couldn't see his face. I could only see a tall, broad-shouldered man coming towards me , taking each step carefully to make a dramatic scenario.

He took the stool next to me and sat down, brushed my hair out of my face, and kissed me on my forehead. His smell was familiar. The same fragrance. I knew him very well. I have known him for ages, and after so many years, I still know him. He is the man I had wished for my entire life, but things were so sudden that I didn't realize when the poison was already dissolved in my veins, and love turned into hatred in seconds.

"Hi, sweetheart. I know you still love me. Look, I'm here. As promised, when you need me, I'll always be with you." He smiled crookedly. Once, I was so obsessed with his smile, but now I feel like it's the worst thing that ruins my life in split seconds. The sarcasm behind his behaviour scares every cell of my body. I mind doesn't really function when he's around. How awfully toxic someone can be.

"Why are you here?" I asked, but my voice was not too clear.

"Okay, let's not waste any more time. Let me tell you why I'm here. I wanted to kill you, or you can say I wanted to see you suffer."

"Why are you doing this to me?"

"Do you deserve an explanation for this stupid question? Where have you been schooled for asking such nonsense? I'm here to take my revenge. Fifteen years ago, the things you did to me are not what I deserved back then. I had to go to jail for you even though my dad bailed me . It ruined my life. My friends used to hate me, people used to look at me and give me nasty stares. My mom mostly abandoned me. I lost my liberty, my freedom, and everything because of you. But I fought really hard, completed my higher education, and applied to many companies. But I got rejected because I had a criminal background, and that's because of you. You've made a huge dark hole in my life that I cannot overcome. Each passing day, I used to wake up and think that do I really deserve so much hatred from this world, from you. Then I met Mona. She helped me recover. She helped me financially, and now I'm such a big businessman. And you know what? I had almost forgotten about my past, made a new start until our pasts collided, and we met."

"You don't remember, but I do. I was the client who was about to visit Lorenzo that day, and I saw you running out of the office. I was pretty confused, but then I tried my strings and found out that you, sweetheart, are now dating Lorenzo Williams. So I sent Mona to kill you. She did a great job, have to say. My love, but that nasty girl of yours, your 'best friend' or rather 'bestie', found you and helped you. So this time, I thought not you. Let's try something new. So I have decided to start attacking your loved ones, and in your grief, you will die too. Isn't it a nice idea?"

"Don't you dare touch anyone, or I will sue you."

"Relax sweetheart. Baby, don't stress yourself. You need rest. You just relax and let your friends suffer. And for the time being, let me suffocate you a little bit."

In the baffling haze of incomprehension, his malevolence took shape, casting a sinister cloud over my existence. His actions, like a venomous serpent striking with lethal precision, unleashed a horrifying reality. With a calculated swipe, he callously tore open the conduit of life that connected me to the vital oxygen my lungs desperately craved. The room suddenly transformed into a suffocating abyss, each breathing a desperate struggle against the vengeful grip of fate. Panic surged through every fiber of my being, my heart pounding in erratic rhythms, as I fought against the cruel grip of asphyxiation. Time slipped through my trembling fingers like sand in an hourglass, and in the depths of despair, an undeniable certainty took hold: today, this very day, would bear witness to my final act on this mortal stage. Amidst the haunting whispers of the end, a plaintive wish emerged, like a flickering candle in the encroaching darkness — a wish to behold the loving face of my mother, one last time, before the final curtain fell.