Chapter 26

As we stepped out of the alleyway, the bright sunlight hit our eyes. We shielded our faces, trying to get used to the sudden change in lighting.

"We need to get out of here," I said, my voice urgent. "We can't stay in one place for too long."

Lorenzo nodded, and we started walking down the street, trying to blend in with the crowds. We walked past street vendors, selling everything from fruit to clothing to trinkets. I tried to keep my focus on the task at hand, but I couldn't shake the feeling of unease that had settled in my stomach.

As we walked, I noticed a man in a hooded sweatshirt, watching us from a distance. I nudged Lorenzo, and he looked over my shoulder.

"That guy's been following us for blocks," he said, his voice low.

We picked up our pace, trying to lose the hooded figure in the crowds. But he seemed to be getting closer, and I could feel the panic rising in my chest.

Suddenly, the man lunged at us, his arms outstretched. I tried to dodge him, but he caught me by surprise, grabbing me by the arm.

I struggled to break free, but he was too strong. Lorenzo tried to intervene, but another figure emerged from the crowd, hitting him in the back of the head with a blunt object.

I heard Lorenzo cry out in pain, and then everything went black.

When I woke up, I was lying on the ground, my head pounding. I looked around, trying to get my bearings.

Lorenzo was lying next to me, his face bruised and bloodied. We were in a dimly lit room, with no windows and only one door.

"What happened?" I asked, my voice hoarse.

"They took us," Lorenzo said, his voice barely above a whisper.

I felt a wave of fear wash over me. We had been kidnapped, and there was no telling what would happen to us.

Lorenzo tried to stand up, but he stumbled, falling back to the ground.

"We need to get out of here," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "We can't stay here."

Lorenzo nodded, and we stumbled towards the door. But it was locked, and we couldn't find a way to open it.

We sat down on the ground, our backs against the wall. I could hear the sound of footsteps outside, and my heart raced with fear.

"This can't be happening," I said, tears filling my eyes. "Why us? Why now?"

Lorenzo put his arm around me, holding me close.

"We'll get through this," he said, his voice filled with determination. "We always do."

But I knew that the situation was dire, and that we were facing an uncertain fate. Our kidnapping had shown us that our enemies were ruthless and determined, and that we were no match for them.

As the hours passed, I thought of our friends and family, and wondered if they were looking for us. I wondered if they knew that we were still alive, and if they were trying to find us.

But as the night wore on, I felt my hope slipping away. I thought of Lorenzo, and wondered if he was still alive. I wondered if he was fighting to stay alive too.

I couldn't bear the thought of never seeing him again, of never being able to tell him how much he meant to me.

As the darkness closed in around us, I felt myself slipping into a state of despair. I knew that our fate was in the hands of our captors, and that there was little hope of escape.

But I still had Lorenzo, and I held on to that thought, even as the darkness consumed us.