Calming Blue

Shadow struggled to fight back the tears that threatened to fall as he made his way down an overgrown path in the woods.

He was sick of crying, but couldn't seem to stop as memory after memory of his time on the Ark flooded his mind.

There were good, bad, scary, and sad memories, but the worst by far, was watching his sister die right in front of him, while he was unable to do anything for her as he was launched down to Earth in an escape pod.

It just wasn't fair!

Maria didn't deserve that, and he was meant to protect her! What good was he to the world if he wasn't even able to save the one person that he cared the most about?!

Unable to hold back any longer, Shadow broke down in a rare moment of vulnerability.

Feeling as though he'd collapse soon if he didn't sit down due to his legs feeling like jelly, the ebony hybrid slumped against a tree, burying his face in his hands as he cried.

He felt ridiculous for losing control of his emotions like this, but at least all the way out here, nobody was around to witness his meltdown.

"Wouldn't those imbeciles love to see me like this!" He thought bitterly, trying to wipe away his tears, though he knew it was pointless to do so. "I can practically already see their reactions to The Ultimate Lifeform having a mental breakdown."

That thought certainly didn't help his mood any though, as Shadow took pride in having this title, and did not want anyone to see him as weak.

All of a sudden though, Shadow's head snapped up as he caught sight of something cobalt blue out of the corner of his eye, and he sprang to his feet in an instant.

That was Maria's favorite color!

Now he wasn't stupid, Shadow knew it wasn't her. But he hadn't seen that exact shade of blue since losing his sister.

He had to find out what it was!

The only problem was that it was moving, and at a speed that could rival his own no less!

But not worrying about the presented challenge, Shadow quickly fired up his Air Shoes before taking off after the Blue Blur.

He chased it all through the woods, weaving in and around trees, jumping over logs, dodging low hanging branches, and slicing through shrubbery.

But no matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't seem to get close enough to grab whatever, or whoever, that thing was!

It always remained just a few inches out of his reach.

Then, he lost it.

The trees suddenly became thicker, the blur in front of him managing to get out of his sight for only a second before he cleared the obstacles.

But as soon as the pathway cleared again, opening up into the city's park, he realized with a jolt, that it was gone.

"No!" Shadow cried, his heart sinking as tears filled his eyes once more. "How could I have lost it?! I was right on its trail!"

However, there was nothing he could do about it now, so the ebony hedgehog had no choice but to give up for now. The idea of doing so weighing heavily on his heart.

_____

Sonic sighed in relief as he came to a stop just outside of the deserted racecar track.

He didn't know who or what was chasing him, or how they were able to keep pace with him, but he was in no mood to find out right now.