14 | Model Girl

Rem stepped through Layla's heaven door, which was surrounded by beautiful, white tulips, being the only one to have anything like that. She thought of the Layla she had met in the cafe she worked at. The one that said Rem was her best friend, the one that bonded with her over their shared love of pastries. Rem was brought to some sort of walkway, which had chairs filled with people. All of their faces were blurred, almost as if Layla knew of them, but simply couldn't remember them. She sat down in the top area. Her head lifted itself up, as she was too short to look over the railing in front of her. "Please rise." A voice spoke from a speaker above them. All of the people stood up, almost as if they had been programmed to do that. It wasn't human. Rem, hesitantly, stood up after them, and started clapping alongside them. All of a sudden, they stopped. Then, they sat down. No one spoke. Well, other than two girls, who sat 2 rows below her. There was something different about them, which Rem couldn't see. All of a sudden, the speaker went off again. "Welcome, Jessica." A woman stepped out of the walkway. She bore a sparkly, green dress, which had a small slit on her sides. Everyone clapped and shouted in cheer at this sight, which Rem didn't understand. "What is going on?.." The woman posed, kissed toward the camera, and walked back. Then, another girl followed. And another, and another, and another. Rem felt like she was sitting there for an eternity. Finally, a final announcement came out of the speaker. "Please welcome, our final contestant, Aqua." Rem stood up, out of shock. Aqua? Who was Aqua? The woman stepped out in her light blue dress, walking along the walkway, just like the others did. No, this was weird. This wasn't right. Layla had to be somewhere in the audience. Rem walked around the people, apologising as she stepped through. She stopped to talk to the two ladies who were the only ones speaking within this area. "Excuse me?" The girls looked up. "Wha?" Rem coughed. "Ehm, have you seen a girl named Layla anywhere around here." They looked at each other, and then looked back at Rem. "No." Rem nodded. "I understand. Sorry." She walked away. One of the girls smirked as she walked away. "That's her, ain't it, Luna?" Luna looked over at her. "Indeed it is, Rose." Rem walked backstage, where the models sat. She pulled the curtains away, allowing herself inside. "Excuse me?" All of the girls sat lifeless. All but one. "Aqua, was it?" Aqua looked over at Rem. "Who are you? If you're one of the models, you're late." Rem shook her head. "No, no, I'm not. I'm lookin' for my friend, uh, Layla? I was wondering if she was here." Aqua's face went pale as she shook her head. "No. No idea who she is." Rem raised an eyebrow. "Y'sure? You're goin' kinda pale there.." Aqua shook her head again. "I said no." Rem raised her hands in the air. "Alright.." She turned around. "If you do happen to see her.." She looked back. "Tell her, her best friend says hi."

Aqua ran up behind Rem, and wrapped her arm around her neck. "Kh.." Rem couldn't breathe. Aqua whispered in her ear. "How do you know Layla?" Rem groaned. "I.. knew her.. before she died.." Aqua shook her head. "No.. I don't remember you. And besides, I'm not dead. What are you talking about?.." Rem's eyes widened, as she looked over into her eyes. "Layla?.." Rem raised her left leg and swung it back, knocking Aqua away. Aqua rolled down on the ground, and looked up at Rem. "Layla, it's you, isn't it?" Layla's eyes sparkled. "I have no idea who you're talking about.." She was lying. Rem gave her a warm smile. "Layla.. why are you taking on this form?" Layla stayed silent. "Do you feel guilt.. about what happened to Earth?" No response. "I know about your past.. I read about it. I didn't know this was your form, though.. or your name." Layla was shaking. "I don't know what.. you're saying." Rem smiled. "Nonsense. You have no reason to hide anymore." She walked over, and squatted down. "I'm here, now." She picked up her hand, and held it in hers. "Nothing bad will happen any longer." She took a deep breath. "Y'know, Otto is probably out there." This name made Layla jump. "That's right.. you're not the only one we're rescuing.." She started tearing up. "Layla.. I want to give you the beautiful childhood I never had. It's what you deserve." Layla suddenly wrapped her arms around Rem. "You didn't deserve anything that happened to you.." Her arms gripped onto Rem's shoulders. "Cloned.. taken out at 12 to fight for the Omniverse.. if you were to ask me.. I'd say you had it the hardest out of any of us." She pulled away. "But.. that can change.. just come with me." Layla finally spoke. "Rem.." She smiled, and nodded. "Yeah.. you're right." Rem's smile grew louder, before they heard screams within the hall. Rem's head jerked back. "The hell?.." Layla looked after her. "What's happening out there?" Rem shook her head. "I don't know.. There isn't supposed to be anyone here." She stood up, and walked toward the exit toward the hall. "Stay here. I'll be back soon." She ran outside to see the two girls she previously spoke to, slaughtering every fake being in this room. Rose was throwing up a head, juggling with 3 at the same time. "Oh, Luna! Aren't you being too harsh?!" Rem covered her mouth. She was close to throwing up. The golden hall had suddenly turned to a bloody red. Luna looked at Rose. "Hmm, am I? I dunno.. I need to kill everyone for my ability to activate." Rose smirked. "Well, I think we're missing someone if it needs to be everyone." Luna nodded in response. "Indeed.. wasn't there a girl who had spoken to us?" Rem jumped above them. "Yeah.." They both looked up. Rem's fist grew large. "AND SHE'S RIGHT HERE!"