chapter four.

letting go from the family hug, there wasn't a dry eye in the house. all parting onto different sofa's the mother spoke up. "now dallas and maddie are here, please can you explain why you ran?" devonne sighed knowing the topic would arise again at some point. "i guess it's now or never" she spoke with a small shrug, her gaze dropping to her lap. "i'm going to explain everything. from why to what happened in the past six years. it may take a long time, so sit back." she whispered before taking a deep breath, demi's hand rubbing her lower back softly as dianna squeezed her thigh. she was about to share the reasoning behind six years away. the reason sixteen year old devonne left everything behind. it's been a secret between herself and izzy for six years.

"it all started when demi was slowly getting her name out in the world, scoring disney auditions and eventually roles. everyone was praising her, it was all about demi. i was left out of everything. it was basically like demi wasn't a twin. even demi was forgetting about me. i felt like i wasn't worth it. i felt like a disappointment. as usually if one of us signed up to anything at all, the other was asked if they wished to try. i was never even asked when demi signed up for disney auditions. i felt useless. untalented. unwanted. i started doubting myself and kept saying demi was more worthy, talented and loved twin. i couldn't deal with the pressure anymore. so i left thinking no one would care. i did keep up with family news though. as demi was getting more and more into the public eye, it was easier to keep track with family information via social media. so uh, yes. that's why i left and i'm sorry. i was being selfish. i should've taken some space and then returned. i should've returned and help demi's travel to fame." she got everything out without any interruptions. turning to her twin she sighed softly. "i should have especially returned when i heard about your struggles, dems. i should have helped you recover. but i'm proud of you, and i'm sorry i wasn't. i love you all, so much. and i've been here, always. even if not in person." she whispered and looked away from demi to the rest of her family seeing their tears all travel down their cheeks. her own falling too. "i love you, dev. you're so worthy, talented and loves. you're so strong. i'm so sorry i ignored you. and don't beat yourself up. you had your own struggles. and we both recovered didn't we?" she said softly with a small nudge before pulling the smaller twin into a hug. "thank you dems," she whispered, smiling a little and wiping her own tear tracks, then her sisters.

her mother then spoke up, with a slight frown, eyebrows furrowed. "listen dev, baby. i guess we were pushing you to the side a little and i'm so sorry. we should have asked you. we should have included you. your dad and i love you all so much. you're included in that all." she whispered and leaned over to kiss her forehead, eddie nodded from the other sofa.

across the sofa maddie was silently crying with her knees to her chest, causing the girl to look at her and frown. she stood up, moving to sit beside her. "hey, mads, babe, are you okay?" she asked before being pulled into a hug by the smallest family member. "i was only little when you left and i didn't really understand it. but now i understand and i'm so sorry you felt like your own family didn't love you. i love you, so much." madison let out with a few stutters in the girl's shoulder. "it's not your fault, you were too young." she said softly in the girl's ear.

after the girl stood from madison's side ready to sit back in the seat she previously sat in, the oldest sibling came over and pulled devonne into a hug. "dev baby, i'm sorry. i guess i was probably ignoring you and favouring demi. it wasn't on purpose. i was just happy for dems. i love you. i should have been protecting you as your big sister." she said softly as devonne hugged her back smiling softly as she went to go sit down again.

"so, what now?" devonne asked softly with a slight waver to her voice, almost in fear of what someone may ask. they all looked around before dallas spoke up. "care to explain where you went and how you survived these past six years." devonne sighed softly and hummed a little. "sure, i guess" she smiled softly before taking a deep breath before about to explain all the emotions she went through for six years.

"so before i left i took my phone, some money aka all my savings, and left a note for demi." she was interrupted by dallas who sent a glare demi's way. "you never told us she left a note!" everyone's heads turned to demi as she looked a little guilty. "i didn't think it was important. it said 'i love you dems, always and forever'" dallas nodded, letting the girl off. devonne took this as a chance to continue. "i left making my way as far from the house as possible, where i slept on a park bench as it got dark. i met this sweet girl called izzy, she's the only person who knows my true identity. she's my best friend. she let me stay with her until i got a job and was able to afford my own place. i got a job at a restaurant and then got a apartment where i now live and have ever since." they all looked at the girl as she reminisced of the day she met izzy.

"baby.." their father started. "i'm so sorry you felt the need to run away. i don't want to lose you again." he spoke, before standing. "it's getting late. are you able to stay a few nights so we can all catch up?" he asked before devonne shook her head. "i've got work tomorrow. and i'm behind on my rent." she spoke softly, a faint redness to her cheeks as she admitted her financial struggles. "move out and back in with us?" demi suggested hopefully. "i can stay for a little, i guess. but moving back is a whole different story. my place is my home." she spoke with a shrug. "i shall ring in sick. but i need clothes" demi shook her head, with a smile. "we're twins. we'll fit in the same clothes. you can borrow mine." devonne smiled nodding a little. "alright. where can i sleep? now that i think about it i'm getting sleepy." she spoke and demi stood at the same time. "i'll show you." she spoke, as her mother kissed devonne on the forehead, followed by demi.

as they were walking up the stares, demi started to talk. "y'know dev, when i told the world about you, i never expected you to actually see it. i knew the chances were slim. and that even if you saw it, you had a reason and probably wouldn't return. seeing your tweet made me so sad that i couldn't see you again. seeing you at the front door though? i genuinely thought that was my own imagination playing tricks on me. i'm so glad you returned. i missed you, our twin bond, scaring people with our identical thoughts, our hugs, everything." she spoke and devonne smiled a little, shocked from her ramble. theywalked in the guest room and devonne pulled the girl into a big hug, wrapping her arms firmly around her. "i love you so much, demsy." she whispered. "and i love you just as much, devsy" she replied, using their childhood nicknames for one another.