21. Video Chat

Dream quickly became outright giddy at being able to talk to Sapnap. They talked as easily as they did back when they were still in school together, and Dream was eager to learn as much as he could about what his old friends have been up to.

He soon learned that Quackity had already become quite the successful casino manager and was seen as the breadwinner of the house, but everyone else contributed in their own ways. Sapnap made decent money at his factory job. George was a fairly popular streamer. Karl had problems with his memory and attention span that made it difficult for him to keep a steady job, but he had found his niche in making fun short videos and apparently he was the source of multiple memes. He was regularly getting donations just for being himself.

Dream was happy that they were all doing well. Sapnap wanted to know about what he was up to, and Dream told him what he could about what had happened with the break-in.

Sapnap offered his sympathies, and said he did a good thing. Then he talked about Scar, who he had looked into after hearing the news, and thought he seemed great.

He's nice, Dream typed, smiling as he thought about all the affection Scar has shared with him. He's so generous, likes buying me things, which is hard to get used to. It feels like I'm taking too much. But it makes him so happy. So maybe I could let him more.

Hell yeah, if a rich guy wants to buy you gifts, let him! You're in your sugar baby era!

Dream groaned, amused and flustered. He hesitated, then typed, Not you too. Scar already seems really into being my sugar daddy.

There was a pause, then a reply came with way more typos. Fuk yea Dream get that rch dick, I mean monie!!

Dream stared, heat rising to his cheeks. After a few moments, a new message came. Sorry that was Quackity. Everyone is over my shoulder right now. Hey, you got a webcam? I could just video call?

Dream quickly looked the laptop over. When he was a kid, he had a computer with a separate webcam that plugged into it, but he found that the laptop had one built in over the screen. So he agreed and waited anxiously.

A tone played and a message popped up saying that Sapnap was requesting a video call. Dream accepted it and a new screen opened, and Dream's stomach did a few flips as he saw his friends again.

Ten years later but they were still so recognizable. Sapnap still had that mischievous grin and old burn scars on his face. George had a boyish face and didn't seem to have grown an inch since Dream last saw him, and his glasses were large and made his eyes look so sweet. Karl had a sort of distant look to his eyes that Dream was familiar with, but he still grinned and waved at Dream, bouncing a little. And Quackity...

"What happened to your face?" Dream blurted out, unable to help himself, then quickly covered his mouth. He felt mortified that he drew attention to it, but the others just laughed, while Quackity grinned, seeming the most amused of all.

"Oh, oh my god, it's such a wild story," Quackity said.

Dream stared at the vicious scar that tore across the left side of his face, starting from his upper lip and going up his cheek and even past his eye. His eye had a cloudy appearance on that side and Dream felt a sinking sensation.

"Are you... blind in that eye?" Dream asked.

"Kinda," Quackity said. "It's messed up, yeah. I can see a bit from it but it's pretty bad. Luckily my other eye is fine."

"What happened?" Dream wondered.

"Okay okay, so, where do I start? Okay." Quackity clapped his hands together and pushed his way closer to the webcam, the others grumbling and laughing as they made room for him.