22. Storytime with Doc

Scar was in a great mood as he had breakfast with Ren and Doc. The previous night had been wonderful and he was pleased to see that Ren was still looking a little blissed out. Doc and Scar had a tendency to gang up on him but Ren absolutely didn't mind having the focused attention from two doms, and when Scar checked on Doc, he saw that he also looked pretty happy.

They all worked pretty hard in their day-to-day lives. It was good to just relax and have a fun weekend together.

They were enjoying apple cinnamon pancakes and Scar found his thoughts wandering to Dream, hoping he was alright back at the house alone. Dream was an adult and could look after himself, but Scar still hoped he had eaten.

The three didn't talk much as they ate, but as Ren finished his food, he said, "Any fun plans for the rest of the weekend, Scar?"

"I might take Dream out to the mall or something if he's up for it. Otherwise, we'll just relax at home," Scar replied. "You know me, I like to spend my weekends watching movies all day."

"Oh you and your movies," Doc teased. "When's the next court thing Dream has to do?"

"We don't know yet. He'll probably talk to Mumbo about the case before that though, since they have some things to go over. I'm waiting on the official mail from both Mumbo and the courthouse with all the dates."

"It's so good that you got Mumbo to represent him, he's gonna do great," Ren said. "It's still so scary though, going to court for something like that. You give that boy all the love he needs, alright?"

Scar chuckled. "Of course. As much as he'll allow me, anyway. He's still so skittish."

"Yeah, he's like a shy little bird, isn't he?"

"I don't know if I'd say little, he's taller than both of us," Scar said and Ren got flustered while Doc laughed.

"Ssh, c'mon, you know what I mean. He's not very, well. Confident."

"He spent nearly a decade with barely any human contact," Scar said dryly. "Can you blame him?"

"Of course, I'm not saying it like it's a bad thing. I get that you can't be super forward with him. I'm just hoping he comes out of his shell a little, you know?" Ren said.

"He has been. But with what he's told me about his father, it wasn't very safe for him to be himself as a kid, so he's used to hiding things. I'm just giving him his space, and trying to be encouraging when he does share things with me, and he's been opening up more lately. But I'm not rushing him. I'm just happy to see him making progress." Scar smiled as he thought about how cuddly Dream has been with him lately. Dream had also been really excited about talking to his friends, and Scar wondered how that had gone. Hopefully they would be able to keep talking to each other. Dream could really use that sort of support right now.

"Dream's in an unstable place right now," Doc said. "But once he feels more secure, and perhaps once all the court nonsense is done with, I think he'll really open up. Who knows, maybe he won't ever become ‛confident', per se. But he'll still be deserving of love, and you'll be there for him, won't you, Scar?"

"For as long as he wants me to be," Scar said honestly, heart doing a little flip in his chest. He already felt very close to Dream, even if they haven't known each other long, and he hoped Dream would want to stay in his life once the legal business was wrapped up. He had a feeling he would, but he couldn't know for sure. Still, it didn't stop him from being optimistic.

"Good, good. You're a good man."

"Guess that's what happens when your name is literally Scar Goodman," Ren commented. Doc elbowed him and he laughed.